100 top grossing films of all time
Temperatures are on the rise, schools are out, and that means it is summer blockbuster time.
But according to a recent segment on NPR, “Two years ago, out of the more than 600 films submitted to the Motion Picture Association of America, 16 got rated G — the most in a decade. Last year, even if you counted re-releases, only 10 films got rated G. And this year, of the 250 films that have opened so far, not a single one has been rated G. Not one.”
According to our research, at least two G-rated films have been released this year, "Penguins 3D" and "And Now a Word From Our Sponsor," but regardless, it appears that in 2013 very few G-rated movies will be released.
A story by Deseret News reporter Trent Toone analyzes both the number of films released under each rating and the average revenue earned per rating. The article shows that, by far, R-rated movies are the most commonly made. However, R-rated movies also gross significantly less than any other rating category.
But is there a similar trend when analyzing the 100 top grossing films of all time in the U.S.?
According to Box Office Mojo, after adjusting for inflation, the 100 top grossing films of all time would fall into the following categories: 21 G-rated films, 38 PG-rated films, 29 PG-13-rated films, five R-rated films and seven films with no ratings available.
Although discretion must be used because the rating system has adjusted over time — creating the market for additional movie review sites like ok.com — it is still interesting to note that 60 of the top grossing films of all time are rated G or PG.
In the end, while filmmakers continue to produce more PG-13 and R-rated films, it appears that family audiences relish a PG- or G-rated movie, a trend established over time.
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 165
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 27
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 18
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 15
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12