100 top grossing films of all time
Temperatures are on the rise, schools are out, and that means it is summer blockbuster time.
But according to a recent segment on NPR, “Two years ago, out of the more than 600 films submitted to the Motion Picture Association of America, 16 got rated G — the most in a decade. Last year, even if you counted re-releases, only 10 films got rated G. And this year, of the 250 films that have opened so far, not a single one has been rated G. Not one.”
According to our research, at least two G-rated films have been released this year, "Penguins 3D" and "And Now a Word From Our Sponsor," but regardless, it appears that in 2013 very few G-rated movies will be released.
A story by Deseret News reporter Trent Toone analyzes both the number of films released under each rating and the average revenue earned per rating. The article shows that, by far, R-rated movies are the most commonly made. However, R-rated movies also gross significantly less than any other rating category.
But is there a similar trend when analyzing the 100 top grossing films of all time in the U.S.?
According to Box Office Mojo, after adjusting for inflation, the 100 top grossing films of all time would fall into the following categories: 21 G-rated films, 38 PG-rated films, 29 PG-13-rated films, five R-rated films and seven films with no ratings available.
Although discretion must be used because the rating system has adjusted over time — creating the market for additional movie review sites like ok.com — it is still interesting to note that 60 of the top grossing films of all time are rated G or PG.
In the end, while filmmakers continue to produce more PG-13 and R-rated films, it appears that family audiences relish a PG- or G-rated movie, a trend established over time.
- Newlywed viral Star Wars couple: 'The Force...
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed hotel...
- Utah and UVU assigned regionals; BYU left out...
- BYU football receives commitment from Lone...
- New temple presidents
- Utah family changes course because of child's...
- President Uchtdorf recalls being a refugee,...
- New mission presidents
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 33
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 29
- In Hiroshima, Obama honors 'silent cry'... 25
- Donald Trump breaks with nation's only... 17
- Trump tells California 'there is no... 17