14 videos of high school graduates opening LDS mission calls
Thomas S. Monson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, announced the age change for full-time missionary service for young men and women last October.
During a press conference following the announcement, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, happily stated that he was “bordering on the giddy here with this announcement.”
Elder Holland then went on to discuss the impact of the announcement.
“We expect that with this new option the number will increase steadily over the coming months — and perhaps will grow dramatically next spring after high school graduations.”
This proved to be true, with LDS missionary applications jumping 471 percent shortly after the announcement. And the numbers have continued to grow, as President Monson announced this April during general conference.
“We have 65,634 full-time missionaries serving, with over 20,000 more who have received their calls but who have not yet entered a Missionary Training Center and over 6,000 more in the interview process with their bishops and stake presidents,” President Monson said.
As the number of missionaries has grown, so has the number of YouTube videos featuring young men and young women opening their calls. Since President Monson’s October announcement, the excitement surrounding mission calls has been increasingly shared through social media.
Here are 14 of those viral videos we have gathered over the past few months, including videos recommended by our Facebook fans.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- In our opinion: U.S. Supreme Court... 94
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 88
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 69
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66