Brigham Young, urban planning and the 'City of Zion' plat
Tooele, 1849 »2 of 12 «
Mike Terry, Deseret News
In 1849, Brigham Young directed the settlement of Utah Valley, Sanpete Valley and Tooele Valley, Leonard J. Arrington wrote in "Brigham Young: American Moses." Tooele County, originally known as "Tuilla," according to pioneer.utah.gov, was one of six counties created in January 1850. Settlers herded livestock in the area before a permanent settlement began in 1849.
»2 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 125
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 66
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 31
- Do Utah high school students need four... 26
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 21
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19