Brigham Young, urban planning and the 'City of Zion' plat
Tooele, 1849 »2 of 12 «
Mike Terry, Deseret News
In 1849, Brigham Young directed the settlement of Utah Valley, Sanpete Valley and Tooele Valley, Leonard J. Arrington wrote in "Brigham Young: American Moses." Tooele County, originally known as "Tuilla," according to pioneer.utah.gov, was one of six counties created in January 1850. Settlers herded livestock in the area before a permanent settlement began in 1849.
»2 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 45
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 26
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 21
- Tea party groups' suit against IRS... 20
- US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay... 19
- Ukraine: 295 on Malaysia plane shot... 14
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 13