Brigham Young, urban planning and the 'City of Zion' plat
Tooele, 1849 »2 of 12 «
Mike Terry, Deseret News
In 1849, Brigham Young directed the settlement of Utah Valley, Sanpete Valley and Tooele Valley, Leonard J. Arrington wrote in "Brigham Young: American Moses." Tooele County, originally known as "Tuilla," according to pioneer.utah.gov, was one of six counties created in January 1850. Settlers herded livestock in the area before a permanent settlement began in 1849.
»2 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- New MTC presidents
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior is Born'...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 97
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 40
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 30
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 26
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby... 22
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 18
- Planned Parenthood under fire literally... 14