Brigham Young, urban planning and the 'City of Zion' plat
Tooele, 1849 »2 of 12 «
Mike Terry, Deseret News
In 1849, Brigham Young directed the settlement of Utah Valley, Sanpete Valley and Tooele Valley, Leonard J. Arrington wrote in "Brigham Young: American Moses." Tooele County, originally known as "Tuilla," according to pioneer.utah.gov, was one of six counties created in January 1850. Settlers herded livestock in the area before a permanent settlement began in 1849.
»2 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New mission presidents
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney challenging...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to get...
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in...
- New temple presidents
- Tips & Tricks: 6 reasons you may be getting...
- Doug Robinson: $280M UCLA deal breaks record,...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 97
- Anti-Trump protests turn violent... 47
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Clinton faulted on emails by State... 40
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 33
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 29
- In Hiroshima, Obama honors 'silent cry'... 24