Brigham Young, urban planning and the 'City of Zion' plat
Ogden, 1848 »1 of 12 «
Utah Historical Society
According to an article on lds.org, Ogden was originally settled by a mountain man named Miles Goodyear, who helped convince the Mormon newcomers to settle elsewhere. They ultimately ended up in the Salt Lake Valley. In late 1847, Captain James Brown purchased Goodyear's land for $1,950, and Brownsville was established. The area officially became known as Ogden City in 1851.
»1 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- New temple presidents
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 168
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 28
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 16
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 13