Brigham Young, urban planning and the 'City of Zion' plat
Ogden, 1848 »1 of 12 «
Utah Historical Society
According to an article on lds.org, Ogden was originally settled by a mountain man named Miles Goodyear, who helped convince the Mormon newcomers to settle elsewhere. They ultimately ended up in the Salt Lake Valley. In late 1847, Captain James Brown purchased Goodyear's land for $1,950, and Brownsville was established. The area officially became known as Ogden City in 1851.
»1 of 12 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4...
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- 13,740 acres burned in Antelope Island fire
- Everything we think we know about sex...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: I know what it's...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 39
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 31
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for... 27
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 26
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing... 22
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22