High school sports: 2012-13 All-Sports winners feature 3 repeats
Related list: Recap and gallery of all 86 state championship teams
The 2012-13 high school sports season was filled with drama both inside the lines, and outside as the UHSAA dealt with some significant eligibility issues.
From Lone Peak’s march to a MaxPreps No. 1 national ranking in basketball, to Morgan’s first boys basketball state title in 39 years, to Jordan’s dominant run through the 5A football season, the 2012-13 season has certainly been a great one to follow.
Now that the dust has settled on the 9 1/2 month grind that included thousands of meets, matches, games and invitationals, as well as 86 state championships, the Deseret News is excited to announce the winners of the 34th-annual All-Sports awards.
Bingham is back on top in 5A after a one-year hiatus. Timpview narrowly won the 4A title in a very balanced year. Desert Hills won its third-straight 3A title. Richfield won its second-straight 2A title, while St. Joseph won for the seventh-straight year in 1A.
The Deseret News All-Sports award denotes the top overall athletic programs in each of the five classifications. Schools earn All-Sports points for placing in the top eight at state. Ten points are awarded for first, eight for second, six for third, five for fourth, four for fifth, three for sixth, two for seventh and one for eighth. Points are divided when teams tie.
Schools earn points in football, cross country, golf, basketball, wrestling, swimming, baseball, track, soccer, tennis, volleyball and softball.
Class 4A and Class 2A were the only classifications in which every school earned at least one point.
Brighton, which finished fifth in 5A this year, holds the record for 11 consecutive awards from 1980-91. Juan Diego holds the record for most awards points in a season with 112.
Bingham was the top team this year finishing with 94.5 points.
Here’s a look at each classification.
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- New temple presidents
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 42
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 22
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- NBA draft: Jazz should still find a... 11
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11