High school sports: 2012-13 All-Sports winners feature 3 repeats
Related list: Recap and gallery of all 86 state championship teams
The 2012-13 high school sports season was filled with drama both inside the lines, and outside as the UHSAA dealt with some significant eligibility issues.
From Lone Peak’s march to a MaxPreps No. 1 national ranking in basketball, to Morgan’s first boys basketball state title in 39 years, to Jordan’s dominant run through the 5A football season, the 2012-13 season has certainly been a great one to follow.
Now that the dust has settled on the 9 1/2 month grind that included thousands of meets, matches, games and invitationals, as well as 86 state championships, the Deseret News is excited to announce the winners of the 34th-annual All-Sports awards.
Bingham is back on top in 5A after a one-year hiatus. Timpview narrowly won the 4A title in a very balanced year. Desert Hills won its third-straight 3A title. Richfield won its second-straight 2A title, while St. Joseph won for the seventh-straight year in 1A.
The Deseret News All-Sports award denotes the top overall athletic programs in each of the five classifications. Schools earn All-Sports points for placing in the top eight at state. Ten points are awarded for first, eight for second, six for third, five for fourth, four for fifth, three for sixth, two for seventh and one for eighth. Points are divided when teams tie.
Schools earn points in football, cross country, golf, basketball, wrestling, swimming, baseball, track, soccer, tennis, volleyball and softball.
Class 4A and Class 2A were the only classifications in which every school earned at least one point.
Brighton, which finished fifth in 5A this year, holds the record for 11 consecutive awards from 1980-91. Juan Diego holds the record for most awards points in a season with 112.
Bingham was the top team this year finishing with 94.5 points.
Here’s a look at each classification.
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- General manager Dennis Lindsey feels Utah...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Family of scholars: Utah family celebrates...
- NBA draft: Weber State's Joel Bolomboy...
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe than...
- LDS family stars in new TLC show, stresses...
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop featured...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22