10 states with the highest levels of gun violence
The Center for American Progress recently released an analysis of gun violence in all 50 states.
Here is a list of the 10 states with the highest levels of gun violence.
Each state was rated on 10 different indicators:
1. Overall firearm deaths in 2010
2. Overall firearm deaths from 2001 through 2010
3. Firearm homicides in 2010
4. Firearm suicides in 2010
5. Firearm homicides among women from 2001 through 2010
6. Firearm deaths among children ages 0 to 17, from 2001 through 2010
7. Law-enforcement agents feloniously killed with a firearm from 2002 through 2011
8. Aggravated assaults with a firearm in 2011
9. Crime-gun export rates in 2009
10. Percentage of crime guns with a short “time to crime” in 2009
The report analyzes data gathered from the National Center for Injury Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
The Center for American Progress describes itself as an "independent nonpartisan educational institute dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action."
This list includes an average state score and four of the indicators from the above list.
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- New mission presidents
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 136
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 61
- Sen. Mike Lee: Let people, not courts,... 61
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 48
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about... 48
- Letter: Can Iran be trusted? 37
- Letter: We can do better 28