NEW YORK — BYU's Ezekiel Ansah and Utah's Star Lotulelei were both drafted in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft Thursday night. Both players will join a surprisingly rich history of first-round NFL draft picks produced by local collegiate programs since 1950.
Who are these players and how knowledgeable are you regarding the local draftees that have gone in the first round?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @BrandonCGurney
1. Including Ziggy and Star, how many local collegiate players have been drafted in the first round since 1950?
1. B (21) Starting with Utah quarterback Lee Grosscup, who was drafted No. 10 overall by the New York Giants and ending with another Ute QB, Alex Smith, who was the top pick of the 2005 draft.
2. Utah State has produced its share of first-round draft picks through the years. How many Aggies have gone in the first round of the NFL draft since 1950?
2. B (4) Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen was made the No. 3 pick overall by the Los Angeles Rams. Two years later the Rams selected quarterback Bill Munson with the No. 7 pick.
Running back MacArthur Lane was picked by the St. Louis Cardinals at No. 13 overall in 1968. Phil Olsen is the last Aggie picked in the first round. He went No. 4 in 1970 to the Boston Patriots.
3. BYU produced many great quarterbacks throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s. How many BYU quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round of the NFL draft?
3. C (2) Marc Wilson was selected by the Oakland Raiders with the No. 15 pick in the 1980 draft. Two years later Jim McMahon went to the Chicago Bears as the fifth pick overall.
4. As mentioned, both Ansah and Lotulelei went the first round of this year's draft. Before this year, how many times had the state of Utah produced two or more first-round NFL draft picks in the same season?
D. Three times
4. C (Twice) In 1968 Weber State running back Lee White joined with the aforementioned Lane in being selected in the first round. White was selected by the New York Jets with the No. 17 overall pick.
In 1987 BYU produced two first-round draft picks — both of them defensive linemen. Shawn Knight was made the No. 11 overall pick by the New Orleans Saints while Jason Buck went to the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 17.
5. Which local collegiate program has produced the most first-round draft picks since 1950?
C. Utah State
D. Weber State
5. A (BYU) The Cougars got off to a late start and, before Ziggy, hadn't produced a first-round pick since the 2000 draft. But they have placed nine players in the first round overall.
The aforementioned Wilson was the first BYU player to be picked in the first round and was followed by McMahon, Todd Shell (No. 24 to the San Francisco 49ers in 1984), Trevor Matich (No. 28 to the New England Patriots in 1985), Knight, Buck, John Tait (No. 14 to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1999) and Rob Morris (No. 28 to the Indianapolis Colts in 2000.)
6. Including Star, how many Utah Utes have been drafted in the first round of the NFL draft since 1950?
6. D (seven) We already mentioned Grosscup, who was followed by defensive back Norm Thompson, who was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in 1971 with the No. 17 overall pick.
Defensive tackle Luther Elliss was selected by the Detroit Lions with the No. 20 pick in 1995. Receiver Kevin Dyson went No. 16 overall to the Tennessee Oilers in 1998. Jordan Gross was selected by the Carolina Panthers in 2003 with the No. 8 overall pick.
The crown jewel of local NFL draft picks is obviously Smith, who was made the first overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2005.
7. Traditionally, the last pick in the draft is given the nickname 'Mr. Irrelevant' and is honored during Irrelevant Week in Newport Beach, California. How many players from Utah have been chosen with the final pick in the draft?
7. D. Cam Quayle from Weber State was drafted 241st overall in 1998 by the Baltimore Ravens, Tevita Ofahengaue from BYU was drafted 246th overall in 2001 by the Arizona Cardinals and Tim Toone from Weber State was drafted 255 overall by the Detroit Lions in 2010.
8. Which Utah college produced Ed 'Red' Wade, the first player from Utah ever drafted?
B. Utah State
D. Weber State
8. B. Ed 'Red' Wade from Utah State was drafted in the tenth round of the 1937 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears. The 1937 draft, was the second draft ever held.
9. Who is the only drafted player from a Utah college to win the Super Bowl as both a player and a coach?
A. Brian Billick
B. Andy Reid
C. Tom Holmoe
D. Mike Holmgren
9. C. Tom Holmoe won three Super Bowls as a player and one as an assistant coach, all with the San Francisco 49ers. Billick, who coached the Ravens to a Super Bowl victory, was drafted in the NFL but never played. Former BYU player Reid led the Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl but lost. Holmgren, who won a Super Bowl with the Green Bay Packers, coached at BYU, but did not play for any Utah college.
10. How many players from Utah were drafted in 2012?
10. D. Three players from Utah State and one player from Utah were drafted.