Deseret News 2013 mock NFL draft: Star and Ziggy will make history for the state of Utah
History could be in the making for the state of Utah on Thursday night when the NFL draft kicks off with the first round.
With former Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei and former BYU defensive end Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah predicted to be high draft picks, this could be the first year that two players with Utah collegiate ties are taken in the first 10 picks in the same year.
Beyond the state of Utah, there is plenty of intrigue surrounding the first round. There is no sure-fire No. 1 pick, and plenty of offensive and defensive linemen are expected to be selected on the draft's opening night.
But with a weak quarterback draft class, will there be a QB who hears his name called from the Radio City Music Hall podium Thursday night?
Since 1963, there has been at least one running back taken in the first round. Will that historic streak be broken this year?
Here's a look at how Thursday's first round could shake out, with picks from the Associated Press' mock draft included (go to the end for a roundup of predictions of where prospects from Utah universities not named "Ansah" or "Lotulelei" will land in the seven-round draft):
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29