Deseret News 2013 mock NFL draft: Star and Ziggy will make history for the state of Utah
History could be in the making for the state of Utah on Thursday night when the NFL draft kicks off with the first round.
With former Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei and former BYU defensive end Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah predicted to be high draft picks, this could be the first year that two players with Utah collegiate ties are taken in the first 10 picks in the same year.
Beyond the state of Utah, there is plenty of intrigue surrounding the first round. There is no sure-fire No. 1 pick, and plenty of offensive and defensive linemen are expected to be selected on the draft's opening night.
But with a weak quarterback draft class, will there be a QB who hears his name called from the Radio City Music Hall podium Thursday night?
Since 1963, there has been at least one running back taken in the first round. Will that historic streak be broken this year?
Here's a look at how Thursday's first round could shake out, with picks from the Associated Press' mock draft included (go to the end for a roundup of predictions of where prospects from Utah universities not named "Ansah" or "Lotulelei" will land in the seven-round draft):
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws ire
- LDS missionaries save apartment complex from...
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'...
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood should...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- Elder Per G. Malm dies at age 67
- New rule sparks debate over teacher...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7