Deseret News 2013 mock NFL draft: Star and Ziggy will make history for the state of Utah
History could be in the making for the state of Utah on Thursday night when the NFL draft kicks off with the first round.
With former Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei and former BYU defensive end Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah predicted to be high draft picks, this could be the first year that two players with Utah collegiate ties are taken in the first 10 picks in the same year.
Beyond the state of Utah, there is plenty of intrigue surrounding the first round. There is no sure-fire No. 1 pick, and plenty of offensive and defensive linemen are expected to be selected on the draft's opening night.
But with a weak quarterback draft class, will there be a QB who hears his name called from the Radio City Music Hall podium Thursday night?
Since 1963, there has been at least one running back taken in the first round. Will that historic streak be broken this year?
Here's a look at how Thursday's first round could shake out, with picks from the Associated Press' mock draft included (go to the end for a roundup of predictions of where prospects from Utah universities not named "Ansah" or "Lotulelei" will land in the seven-round draft):
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator who...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- West Jordan boy loses battle with leukemia,...
- Marriage isn’t about romance
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 41
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32