Salt Lake flood of 1983
»15 items «
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Temperatures were in the 90s during Memorial Day weekend in 1983 when a previous winter's snowpack and runoff pushed City Creek over its banks, flooding State Street in downtown Salt Lake City. Volunteers turned out by the thousands to help with sandbags to protect buildings as communities across the state fought flooding and high water marks for weeks to come. Here are some photos captured from Deseret News photographers, as well as some archived front page images and links of the newspaper's coverage of that statewide flooding. Read a report from staff writer Steve Fidel and reaction from officials about the flooding some 28 years ago: Remembering the 1983 Salt Lake floods.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Elizabeth Smart on 'Today': 'Life couldn't be...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11