Salt Lake flood of 1983
»15 items «
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Temperatures were in the 90s during Memorial Day weekend in 1983 when a previous winter's snowpack and runoff pushed City Creek over its banks, flooding State Street in downtown Salt Lake City. Volunteers turned out by the thousands to help with sandbags to protect buildings as communities across the state fought flooding and high water marks for weeks to come. Here are some photos captured from Deseret News photographers, as well as some archived front page images and links of the newspaper's coverage of that statewide flooding. Read a report from staff writer Steve Fidel and reaction from officials about the flooding some 28 years ago: Remembering the 1983 Salt Lake floods.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS Church confirms women's meeting now part...
- Couple with triplets expecting twins: 'We're...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Days before deadline, brain cancer victim may...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases 3 'Hunger...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 24
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21