Salt Lake flood of 1983
»15 items «
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Temperatures were in the 90s during Memorial Day weekend in 1983 when a previous winter's snowpack and runoff pushed City Creek over its banks, flooding State Street in downtown Salt Lake City. Volunteers turned out by the thousands to help with sandbags to protect buildings as communities across the state fought flooding and high water marks for weeks to come. Here are some photos captured from Deseret News photographers, as well as some archived front page images and links of the newspaper's coverage of that statewide flooding. Read a report from staff writer Steve Fidel and reaction from officials about the flooding some 28 years ago: Remembering the 1983 Salt Lake floods.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Crews dig through night after deadly Okla....
- Funeral services for Sister Frances J. Monson...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Journalists criticize Obama administration,...
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Journalists criticize Obama... 24
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21