Salt Lake flood of 1983
»15 items «
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Temperatures were in the 90s during Memorial Day weekend in 1983 when a previous winter's snowpack and runoff pushed City Creek over its banks, flooding State Street in downtown Salt Lake City. Volunteers turned out by the thousands to help with sandbags to protect buildings as communities across the state fought flooding and high water marks for weeks to come. Here are some photos captured from Deseret News photographers, as well as some archived front page images and links of the newspaper's coverage of that statewide flooding. Read a report from staff writer Steve Fidel and reaction from officials about the flooding some 28 years ago: Remembering the 1983 Salt Lake floods.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13