Landmark US Supreme Court rulings throughout history
In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court ruled today that the Defense of Marriage Act ruling, or DOMA, was unconstitutional. Because of this ruling, married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
In another decision about California's Prop 8, the Supreme Court decided it did not have jurisdiction to hear the Prop 8 case, letting stand a lower court ruling overturning Prop 8.
Given the passion of both gay marriage advocates and traditionalists, these decisions are poised to be controversial.
With these cases in mind, here is a list of some landmark Supreme Court rulings from history. They are divided into four categories: rulings overturning federal law, rulings overturning state law, rulings upholding federal law and rulings upholding state law.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 39
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 32