BYU basketball connections to the NIT
Following a six-year stretch where the BYU men's basketball team made the NCAA Tournament, the Cougars are back in the NIT this season.
It's a tournament with which the program enjoys a rich history.
BYU's highlights in NIT play include two championships, tied for the fifth-most in history, trailing St. John's (6), Bradley (4), Dayton (3) and Michigan (3).
The Cougars also own a near-perfect home record in NIT play, having not lost in the Marriott Center in the postseason tournament since 1982.
BYU also boasts an NIT MVP, Roland Minson in 1951, and has had other players, like Dick Nemelka and Fred Roberts, make big contributions during the postseason tourney.
Here's a look back at BYU's history with the NIT.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Host of 'The Locator,' former Mormon bishop...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 114
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 64
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 48
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33