College basketball: How Utah's NCAA D-1 men's programs finished
Record: 14-18 (3-5, Great West Conference)
Conference tournament: Lost in GWC quarterfinals to Houston Baptist
Where they ended up: Season over
How they got there: A year after nearly shocking Weber State in the CIT, the Wolverines took a major step back. Losing former All-American Isiah Williams and leading rebounder Geddes Robinson to graduation didn't help. Neither did in-season injuries to starters Ben Aird and Alfonzo Hubbard.
The Wolverines had their bright spots, including a win over WCC-member Pepperdine, but too often they found themselves on the wrong end of close outcomes, punctuated by their double-overtime loss in the GWC tournament.
Where they go from here: UVU is slated to begin WAC play next season, which will ideally bring in a better crop of recruits the program sorely needs.
Ben Aird (15.1 ppg, 9.0 rpg) and Holton Hunsaker (13.2 ppg, 36.3 percent 3-point FG) are good senior pieces to start with, but they'll need more help if the Wolverines want to capitalize on their first chance at an automatic bid to the Big Dance.
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 94
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 25
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21