College basketball: How Utah's NCAA D-1 men's programs finished
Record: 21-11 (10-6, West Coast Conference)
Conference tournament: Lost in WCC quarterfinals to San Diego
Where they ended up: NIT, No. 3 seed
How they got there: Everyone knew the Cougars' biggest challenge was keeping up with WCC powers Gonzaga and St. Mary's, but conference losses to San Diego and San Francisco certainly didn't help.
BYU struggled in non-conference play as well, dropping nearly every game featuring a significant opponent (Baylor, Notre Dame and Iowa State among them).
With the conference tournament as their only remaining lifeline, BYU floundered, falling to San Diego for the second time this season.
The result was a high seed in the NIT, ending the Cougars' string of six consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances.
Where they go from here: The Cougars are in an awkward spot. Brandon Davies' career at BYU is over, and the much-hyped recruit group from 5A state high school champion Lone Peak is spread out. Big man Eric Mika will provide a one-year jolt of much-needed muscle before going on his mission, but Nick Emery is already slated to leave for his two-year mission this summer.
Meanwhile T.J. Haws, younger brother to sophomore standout Tyler Haws, doesn't graduate until 2014.
The elder Haws will surely improve, but he'll be relying on a revolving door of freshman recruits and Matt Carlino & Co. improving their consistency for the team to do likewise.
- In our opinion: Confronted by power, Christ...
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- New mission presidents
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15