High school basketball: Reliving some special moments
»10 items «
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
For three weeks in gymnasiums from Cedar City to Ogden, high school athletes gave everything they had to a game. All of the spring leagues, summer workouts, early mornings and late nights came down to moments. Whether they played for the top-ranked 5A school or the smallest 1A school, these athletes ignored the fatigue in their legs, the fear in their hearts and the taunts of the crowd to hit pressure-packed free throws, win critical rebounds, make game-turning defensive stops and, yes, heart-stopping, shake-your-head-in-disbelief 3-point beauties. After three weeks of watching the heroics of teenage hoop stars, I thought it would be enjoyable to relive a few of the most dramatic plays — starting with Jalen Moore's shot, taken as he's falling out of bounds and time expires with the score tied at 60. But in remembering some of the moments that made teams winners on the scoreboard, I feel it's important to remember what Bryce Valley coach Eric Jessen said in an email the day after his team earned the 1A championship and dedicated the win to the coach's son, Jesse, who was killed in a car accident just as he prepared to start his junior year. "In basketball and other games we have to declare a winner and a loser," he said. "With kids, each one who pushes forward is the winner." With that in mind, I would also like to say thank you to all of the student athletes and their dedicated coaches for one of the most memorable playoff seasons I've experienced.
»10 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign to...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 103
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 66
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 31