High school basketball: 1A boys tournament capsules
The 1A boys basketball state tournament gets underway this Wednesday at the Sevier Valley Center, and there doesn’t appear to be a clear-cut favorite.
Defending champion Layton Christian is among the favorites after running the tables in Region 17, but teams like Panguitch, Bryce Valley, Rich and Monticello are certainly capable of dethroning the champs this week.
Here are the 17 teams seeking a state championship:
Bryce Valley Mustangs (17-5)
Duchesne Eagles (13-6)
Green River Pirates (11-11)
Layton Christian Eagles (14-8)
Legacy Prep Lions (11-9)
Monticello Buckaroos (17-3)
Panguitch Bobcats (18-4)
Pinnacle Panthers (15-6)
Piute Thunderbirds (12-10)
Rich Rebels (13-5)
Rockwell Marshalls (6-9)
St. Joseph Jayhawks (14-6)
Tabiona Tigers (14-5)
Tintic Miners (17-3)
Valley Buffaloes (9-13)
Wayne Badgers (13-10)
West Ridge Academy (13-8)
Here’s a team-by-team look at the 17 teams that have qualified for the state tournament, and what to expect.
James Edward is the Real Salt Lake beat writer and preps editor for the Deseret News. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...