High school basketball: 1A boys tournament capsules
The 1A boys basketball state tournament gets underway this Wednesday at the Sevier Valley Center, and there doesn’t appear to be a clear-cut favorite.
Defending champion Layton Christian is among the favorites after running the tables in Region 17, but teams like Panguitch, Bryce Valley, Rich and Monticello are certainly capable of dethroning the champs this week.
Here are the 17 teams seeking a state championship:
Bryce Valley Mustangs (17-5)
Duchesne Eagles (13-6)
Green River Pirates (11-11)
Layton Christian Eagles (14-8)
Legacy Prep Lions (11-9)
Monticello Buckaroos (17-3)
Panguitch Bobcats (18-4)
Pinnacle Panthers (15-6)
Piute Thunderbirds (12-10)
Rich Rebels (13-5)
Rockwell Marshalls (6-9)
St. Joseph Jayhawks (14-6)
Tabiona Tigers (14-5)
Tintic Miners (17-3)
Valley Buffaloes (9-13)
Wayne Badgers (13-10)
West Ridge Academy (13-8)
Here’s a team-by-team look at the 17 teams that have qualified for the state tournament, and what to expect.
James Edward is the Real Salt Lake beat writer and preps editor for the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- New mission presidents
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 75
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Ute quarterback Chase Hansen finding... 29
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 23
- Mountain West Conference announces... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17