High school boys basketball: 2A tournament capsules
The first round of the 2A state tournament gets underway Friday at Orem High School, with the eight winners advancing to the quarterfinals at the Southern Utah University in Cedar City next Thursday. Defending state champion South Sevier heads into the playoffs on a 15-game winning streak and is on a collision course with No. 1 Wasatch Academy in the semifinals.
Reigning 2A MVP Race Parsons has scored 1,996 career points, and is just a few points away from becoming the sixth player in state history to sure pass 2,000 career points.
In order of winning percentage, these are the 16 teams that qualified for the 2A boys state basketball tournament this year:
1. Wasatch Academy (21-1)
2. South Sevier (18-3)
3. Beaver (15-3)
4. South Summit (14-7)
5. Gunnison (14-7)
6. Emery (13-7)
7. Manti (13-8)
8. Enterprise (13-9)
9. Richfield (11-8)
10. Merit Academy (11-8)
11. Parowan (11-10)
12. Summit Academy (11-10)
13. San Juan (11-10)
14. Kanab (9-10)
15. North Summit (8-12)
16. Waterford (6-14)
James Edward is the prep sports editor for the Deseret News. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS Church releases statement on construction...
- ABC's 'Nightline' takes a look into the lives...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...