High school girls basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The 2A girls basketball state tournament gets under way this Friday with eight games at Orem High School. The excitement really begins the following week when the quarterfinals shift to Southern Utah University. No. 1 Richfield is the team to beat, but the Wildcats were the team to beat last year as well and were upset in the quarterfinals by North Summit.
Defending state champion Beaver is ranked second in 2A heading into the state tournament, but it dropped a 48-37 game to Richfield back on Dec. 20.
These are the teams that qualified for this year’s tournament
1. American Leadership (13-8)
2. Beaver Beavers (18-4)
3. Emery Spartans (11-7)
4. Enterprise Wolves (14-7)
5. Gunnison Bulldogs (11-10)
6. Kanab Cowboys (10-9)
7. Manti Templars (9-11)
8. North Sevier Wolves (11-9)
9. North Summit Braves (16-5)
10. Parowan Rams (12-8)
11. Richfield Wildcats (18-2)
12. San Juan Broncos (8-11)
13. South Sevier Rams (9-11)
14. South Summit Wildcats (9-9)
15. Summit Academy Bears (10-10)
16. Waterford Ravens (10-9)
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
James Edward is the Prep Editor for the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- President Uchtdorf dedicates addition to...
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25