High school girls basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The 2A girls basketball state tournament gets under way this Friday with eight games at Orem High School. The excitement really begins the following week when the quarterfinals shift to Southern Utah University. No. 1 Richfield is the team to beat, but the Wildcats were the team to beat last year as well and were upset in the quarterfinals by North Summit.
Defending state champion Beaver is ranked second in 2A heading into the state tournament, but it dropped a 48-37 game to Richfield back on Dec. 20.
These are the teams that qualified for this year’s tournament
1. American Leadership (13-8)
2. Beaver Beavers (18-4)
3. Emery Spartans (11-7)
4. Enterprise Wolves (14-7)
5. Gunnison Bulldogs (11-10)
6. Kanab Cowboys (10-9)
7. Manti Templars (9-11)
8. North Sevier Wolves (11-9)
9. North Summit Braves (16-5)
10. Parowan Rams (12-8)
11. Richfield Wildcats (18-2)
12. San Juan Broncos (8-11)
13. South Sevier Rams (9-11)
14. South Summit Wildcats (9-9)
15. Summit Academy Bears (10-10)
16. Waterford Ravens (10-9)
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
James Edward is the Prep Editor for the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 114
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 32
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 26
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 22