High school girls basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The 2A girls basketball state tournament gets under way this Friday with eight games at Orem High School. The excitement really begins the following week when the quarterfinals shift to Southern Utah University. No. 1 Richfield is the team to beat, but the Wildcats were the team to beat last year as well and were upset in the quarterfinals by North Summit.
Defending state champion Beaver is ranked second in 2A heading into the state tournament, but it dropped a 48-37 game to Richfield back on Dec. 20.
These are the teams that qualified for this year’s tournament
1. American Leadership (13-8)
2. Beaver Beavers (18-4)
3. Emery Spartans (11-7)
4. Enterprise Wolves (14-7)
5. Gunnison Bulldogs (11-10)
6. Kanab Cowboys (10-9)
7. Manti Templars (9-11)
8. North Sevier Wolves (11-9)
9. North Summit Braves (16-5)
10. Parowan Rams (12-8)
11. Richfield Wildcats (18-2)
12. San Juan Broncos (8-11)
13. South Sevier Rams (9-11)
14. South Summit Wildcats (9-9)
15. Summit Academy Bears (10-10)
16. Waterford Ravens (10-9)
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
James Edward is the Prep Editor for the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 134
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 91
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48