High school girls basketball: 2A state tournament capsules
The 2A girls basketball state tournament gets under way this Friday with eight games at Orem High School. The excitement really begins the following week when the quarterfinals shift to Southern Utah University. No. 1 Richfield is the team to beat, but the Wildcats were the team to beat last year as well and were upset in the quarterfinals by North Summit.
Defending state champion Beaver is ranked second in 2A heading into the state tournament, but it dropped a 48-37 game to Richfield back on Dec. 20.
These are the teams that qualified for this year’s tournament
1. American Leadership (13-8)
2. Beaver Beavers (18-4)
3. Emery Spartans (11-7)
4. Enterprise Wolves (14-7)
5. Gunnison Bulldogs (11-10)
6. Kanab Cowboys (10-9)
7. Manti Templars (9-11)
8. North Sevier Wolves (11-9)
9. North Summit Braves (16-5)
10. Parowan Rams (12-8)
11. Richfield Wildcats (18-2)
12. San Juan Broncos (8-11)
13. South Sevier Rams (9-11)
14. South Summit Wildcats (9-9)
15. Summit Academy Bears (10-10)
16. Waterford Ravens (10-9)
Here’s a team-by-team look at all 16 teams in the state tournament, and what to expect:
James Edward is the Prep Editor for the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48