Weekend sports roundup: A broadcasting legend passes, state prep swimming and track national titles
I was saddened to see Jay Monsen, the BYU broadcasting pioneer, passed away on Sunday at 79.
For those too young to know this name, Jay did radio and TV broadcasts of BYU sports for decades. Later he served in the school’s electronic media relations department.
Back in the years when I was a new college football beat writer, I knew him fairly well. I went on numerous road trips and attended a lot of football and basketball luncheons with him. He was a gentleman, the kind of friendly, professional, non-judgmental person that represented the university well.
He bought his family homestead in Mt. Pleasant and now dutifully tends his grandchildren, but back in the day, Jay Monsen broke a lot of ground as a sportscaster in Utah and was a real pioneer in the realm of TV and radio.
The West Coast Conference announced Friday that BYUtv will air eight games in the league's men's and women's tournament in Las Vegas next week. Monsen, now 78, is amazed and impressed at the exposure BYU sports are getting on ESPN and especially BYUtv. More than 40 years ago, he helped assemble a few bricks that became the foundation of the high-tech machinery seen today.
Mikel Minor, who just left ESPN in Bristol, Conn., to return to BYUtv this year as senior coordinating producer, was a producer with Monsen when KBYU-TV began broadcasting sports. The BYU alumnus also kicked off the Blue and White Network.
Up next: Brighton Bengals sweep 5A swimming championships.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom Hill...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 130
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 80
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 44
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 44
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 36