1A girls state tournament capsules
Coach: Ryan Cottam
How qualified: Finished tied for sixth in Region 20 with a 2-10 regular season record, but heads into the state tournament as the No. 4 seed after a fourth-place finish at the Region 20 tournament.
Playoff opener: vs. Monument Valley, Wednesday, 4 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 41-35 win at San Juan on Dec. 14.
Most important region victory: A 59-57 win over Bryce Valley on Jan. 11.
#23 Lindsey Phillips, Sr., Forward (16.6 ppg)
#32 Tori Lindsay, Sr., Center (6.5 ppg)
#21 Shelby Steed, Jr., Guard (5.0 ppg)
#33 Kobbi Smith, Sr., Forward (4.3 ppg)
#3 Audrey Lindsey, Fr., Guard (3.9 ppg)
Scoring offense: 43.3 ppg (12th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 49.7 ppg (23rd in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Moquis have a new lease on the season after upsetting Bryce Valley in the first round of the Region 20 tournament. There’s no reason they should simply be happy to be here either. Escalante proved in that win over Bryce Valley and then a one-point loss to Piute in the Region 20 semis that it can compete with anyone. A favorable bracket makes a deep tournament run very realistic.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20