1A girls state tournament capsules
Coach: Ryan Cottam
How qualified: Finished tied for sixth in Region 20 with a 2-10 regular season record, but heads into the state tournament as the No. 4 seed after a fourth-place finish at the Region 20 tournament.
Playoff opener: vs. Monument Valley, Wednesday, 4 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 41-35 win at San Juan on Dec. 14.
Most important region victory: A 59-57 win over Bryce Valley on Jan. 11.
#23 Lindsey Phillips, Sr., Forward (16.6 ppg)
#32 Tori Lindsay, Sr., Center (6.5 ppg)
#21 Shelby Steed, Jr., Guard (5.0 ppg)
#33 Kobbi Smith, Sr., Forward (4.3 ppg)
#3 Audrey Lindsey, Fr., Guard (3.9 ppg)
Scoring offense: 43.3 ppg (12th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 49.7 ppg (23rd in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Moquis have a new lease on the season after upsetting Bryce Valley in the first round of the Region 20 tournament. There’s no reason they should simply be happy to be here either. Escalante proved in that win over Bryce Valley and then a one-point loss to Piute in the Region 20 semis that it can compete with anyone. A favorable bracket makes a deep tournament run very realistic.
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...