1A girls state tournament capsules
Coach: Ryan Cottam
How qualified: Finished tied for sixth in Region 20 with a 2-10 regular season record, but heads into the state tournament as the No. 4 seed after a fourth-place finish at the Region 20 tournament.
Playoff opener: vs. Monument Valley, Wednesday, 4 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 41-35 win at San Juan on Dec. 14.
Most important region victory: A 59-57 win over Bryce Valley on Jan. 11.
#23 Lindsey Phillips, Sr., Forward (16.6 ppg)
#32 Tori Lindsay, Sr., Center (6.5 ppg)
#21 Shelby Steed, Jr., Guard (5.0 ppg)
#33 Kobbi Smith, Sr., Forward (4.3 ppg)
#3 Audrey Lindsey, Fr., Guard (3.9 ppg)
Scoring offense: 43.3 ppg (12th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 49.7 ppg (23rd in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Moquis have a new lease on the season after upsetting Bryce Valley in the first round of the Region 20 tournament. There’s no reason they should simply be happy to be here either. Escalante proved in that win over Bryce Valley and then a one-point loss to Piute in the Region 20 semis that it can compete with anyone. A favorable bracket makes a deep tournament run very realistic.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- New mission presidents
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 95
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 39
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 18
- Little offense as main players sit out... 17