1A girls state tournament capsules
Coach: Ryan Cottam
How qualified: Finished tied for sixth in Region 20 with a 2-10 regular season record, but heads into the state tournament as the No. 4 seed after a fourth-place finish at the Region 20 tournament.
Playoff opener: vs. Monument Valley, Wednesday, 4 p.m. (At Sevier Valley Center)
Best preseason victory: A 41-35 win at San Juan on Dec. 14.
Most important region victory: A 59-57 win over Bryce Valley on Jan. 11.
#23 Lindsey Phillips, Sr., Forward (16.6 ppg)
#32 Tori Lindsay, Sr., Center (6.5 ppg)
#21 Shelby Steed, Jr., Guard (5.0 ppg)
#33 Kobbi Smith, Sr., Forward (4.3 ppg)
#3 Audrey Lindsey, Fr., Guard (3.9 ppg)
Scoring offense: 43.3 ppg (12th in 1A)
Scoring defense: 49.7 ppg (23rd in 1A)
Last state championship: None
Prep editor James Edward’s bracket: Loss to Piute in semifinals.
Edward’s evaluation: The Moquis have a new lease on the season after upsetting Bryce Valley in the first round of the Region 20 tournament. There’s no reason they should simply be happy to be here either. Escalante proved in that win over Bryce Valley and then a one-point loss to Piute in the Region 20 semis that it can compete with anyone. A favorable bracket makes a deep tournament run very realistic.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- College football: BYU receives votes in...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- Can BYU put together a special season?
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 107
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 83
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 54
- Utes fill three future football... 43
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 32
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 30
- College football: BYU receives votes in... 28