These 5 buzzer-beaters have implications on this year's NCAA tournament
St. Mary's beats BYU, Jan. 16 »3 of 5 «
Given the Cougars' Thursday night loss at San Diego, this loss takes on even more importance, as BYU's NCAA tournament resume is short on impressive victories. This one has so far been the Cougars' best chance at a victory over a quality opponent, but a pair of closing shots put BYU on the short end of the score.
Tyler Haws' fallaway jumper in the key with 2.5 seconds left appeared to be the game-winner. But St. Mary's Matthew Dellavedova had other plans, hitting a double clutch, near-midcourt shot between a pair of BYU defenders to lift the Gaels to the 70-69 victory.
Including that win, St. Mary's has now won eight straight and is a half-game behind Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference standings, upping its chances to earn an at-large bid into the NCAA tournament.
BYU, however, has lost three of its past seven, including the loss to the Gaels. The Cougars, at 18-7 and 8-3 in league play, look like they will need to win the WCC tournament to make their eighth straight NCAA tournament appearance.
Up next: A pair of Bulldogs go down to the wire.
»3 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Can BYU put together a special season?
- Doug Robinson: Erin Andrews switches teams...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Ranking the best season by a running back in...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...