Deseret News Mr. Basketball Winners
The Deseret News has been honoring the state’s best basketball players for 28 years, dating back to 1987 when Ben Lomond’s Kurt Miller won the inaugural award.
Of the 28 winners, all have gone on to play college basketball with Emery’s Shawn Bradley and Britton Johnsen eventually playing in the NBA.
Twenty different high schools have had an athlete win the award, with only Lone Peak, Murray and Judge having multiple winners.
Murray’s Jeff Johnsen and Lone Peak’s Tyler Haws are the only two-time winners of the Mr. Basketball award.
PAST MR. BASKETBALL AWARD WINNERS
2013: Nick Emery, Lone Peak (BYU)
2012: Jordan Loveridge, West Jordan (Utah)
2011: Tyrell Corbin, West (UC Davis, SLCC)
2010: Kyle Collinsworth, Provo (BYU)
2009: Tyler Haws, Lone Peak (BYU)
2008: Tyler Haws, Lone Peak (BYU)
2007: Morgan Grim, Riverton (Utah, Utah St.)
2006: Daniel Deane, Judge (Utah, Oregon St.)
2005: Jackson Emery, Lone Peak (BYU)
2004: Tai Wesley, Provo (Utah State)
2003: Josh Olsen, Alta (Utah)
2002: Brody Van Brocklin, Davis (SLCC)
2001: Jared Jensen, Fremont (BYU)
2000: Garner Meads, Brighton (BYU)
1999: Tim Henry, Mtn. View (SLCC)
1998: Tony Brown, Mtn. Crest (Utah State)
1997: Britton Johnsen, Murray (Utah)
1996: Jeff Johnsen, Murray (Utah)
1995: Jeff Johnsen, Murray (Utah)
1994: Alex Jensen, Viewmont (Utah)
1993: Ben Melmeth, Judge (Utah)
1992: JaRon Boone, Skyline (Nebraska)
1991: Justin Weidauer, Cottonwood (BYU)
1990: Kenneth Roberts, Bingham (BYU)
1989: Shawn Bradley, Emery (BYU)
1988: Matt Bowman, Timpview (UVCC)
1987: Kurt Miller, Ben Lomond (New Mexico)
Editor's note: This list contains photos and information on the winners from 1998-2014.
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19