It's not just blackouts: other delays that have affected sporting events
2010: Power outage briefly disrupts play at New Meadowlands Stadium »2 of 8 «
Editor's note: Perhaps this isn't a good omen for next year's Super Bowl. In a game between the Giants and Cowboys in November 2010, two brief power outages delayed a game by 11 minutes at New Meadowlands Stadium, where Super Bowl XLVIII will be played. The first knocked out a few banks of lights just seconds into the third quarter; the second lasted six seconds but knocked out the lights in the entire stadium.
Nearly 81,000 people sat in total darkness for a few seconds at the New Meadowlands Stadium during a power outage that brought Sunday's game between the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants to a halt.
The $1.6 billion building that opened last spring went completely dark for a brief time early in the third quarter. Backup lights almost immediately came on, but play was held up by two brownouts for a total of 11 minutes in the Cowboys' 33-20 victory over the Giants.
"It was kind of bizarre," Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said. "I've never been part of anything like it and hopefully I never will again."
Up next: Heavy snow brings down the roof in Minnesota.
»2 of 8 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism