Eight weekend sports stories you may have missed
Editor's note: Smiling faces and elaborate costumes were on full display over the weekend as UVU hosted the annual Utah high school drill team championships. On Friday, the 4A and 5A teams danced off for state titles. On Saturday, the 3A, 2A and 1A hit the dance floor.
Friday's drill team state championships were held at the UCCU Center in Orem, and after eight hours of competition, one team won its fifth title in a row and another won its first-ever championship. Bountiful took first place in military style while finishing second in both dance and kick as it kept the titles rolling in for the 4A powerhouse.
Copper Hills had a clean sweep, winning each category and the first-ever state championship.
"I started three years ago and we finished third," said Copper Hills coach Shannon Mortensen. "The year after that we finished second and now this year we won it all. So I don't know what we'll do for an encore next year, especially since we had a clean sweep."
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22