Eight weekend sports stories you may have missed
Editor's note: Smiling faces and elaborate costumes were on full display over the weekend as UVU hosted the annual Utah high school drill team championships. On Friday, the 4A and 5A teams danced off for state titles. On Saturday, the 3A, 2A and 1A hit the dance floor.
Friday's drill team state championships were held at the UCCU Center in Orem, and after eight hours of competition, one team won its fifth title in a row and another won its first-ever championship. Bountiful took first place in military style while finishing second in both dance and kick as it kept the titles rolling in for the 4A powerhouse.
Copper Hills had a clean sweep, winning each category and the first-ever state championship.
"I started three years ago and we finished third," said Copper Hills coach Shannon Mortensen. "The year after that we finished second and now this year we won it all. So I don't know what we'll do for an encore next year, especially since we had a clean sweep."
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who went...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 53
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 46
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 46
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24