Eight weekend sports stories you may have missed
Editor's note: In the battle for the Lombardi Trophy, consider the state of Utah the winner. Of the seven players in Super Bowl XLVII with Utah ties, five either came from or played college football in Utah. Brandon Gurney took a close look at all seven players.
Dennis Pitta — Baltimore Ravens (BYU): The former Cougar tight end had four receptions for 26 yards, including a 1-yard touchdown reception midway through the second quarter that gave the Ravens a 14-3 lead.
Paul Kruger — Baltimore Ravens (Utah/Timpanogos High): Kruger was used primarily in passing situations and contributed three tackles and one tackle-for-loss. He also had two sacks, including one during a third and goal situation that forced the 49ers to settle for a field goal in the first half.
Haloti Ngata — Baltimore Ravens (Highland High): Ngata had just two tackles and was forced to leave the game early in the third quarter with a sprained knee.
Up next: You think you had a stake in the outcome of Super Bowl XLVII? The elder Dennis Pitta could not be prouder of his son.
- LDS Church responds to 'misinformation' about...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney lost...
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Amy Adams, Glenn Beck present different takes...
- My husband Alex Boye grilled in UK for 'I'm a...
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on bikinis
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 172
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 34
- Utes basketball: Utah conducting... 27
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah... 22
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18