Eight weekend sports stories you may have missed
The Deseret News publishes its premier sports content over the weekend, but those who don't subscribe to the newspaper usually miss out on some of the Deseret News' best work.
From the Super Bowl to a bevy of college basketball games, there was plenty of action on the docket this weekend.
On Sunday, Feb. 3, the Baltimore Ravens and five NFL players with Utah ties were victorious in Super Bowl XLVII.
Starting Friday and continuing the next day, high schools from around the state of Utah converged on UVU to compete in the state drill team championships.
On Saturday, the Cougars, Utes and Aggies all were victorious on the hardwoods, while the Jazz dropped the second game of back-to-back contests with Portland.
BYU kept itself clearly on the NCAA Tournament bubble with a home win over Santa Clara, while Utah and Utah State picked up some much-needed confidence- building wins over Colorado and Seattle, respectively.
One day after beating the Trail Blazers in EnergySolutions Arena, the Jazz stayed close but couldn't complete the sweep and lost in Portland on Saturday.
Follow Deseret News sports on twitter at @desnewssports
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides...
- Fire chief says search almost complete in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 12
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7