Pacesetters and title-game starters: Utah ties to the Super Bowl
BYU quarterbacks undefeated in the Super Bowl »9 of 10 «
Any time a former Cougar quarterback has been on a Super Bowl roster, his team has won. Three former BYU QBs — Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Marc Wilson — have a combined seven Super Bowl titles, with one win each as a starter for McMahon and Young.
Wilson won titles with the Raiders in Super Bowl XV and XVIII, playing only in the second win and never throwing a pass.
McMahon completed 12-of-20 passes for 256 yards and scored a pair of short touchdown runs as the Bears beat New England 46-10 in Super Bowl XX in the first Super Bowl start for a BYU quarterback. McMahon did not play when he earned his second ring with Green Bay in Super Bowl XXXI.
Young picked up a pair of titles as a backup before earning his first Super Bowl title as a starter. When San Francisco won back-to-back championships in Super Bowls XXIII and XXIV, Young completed 2-of-3 passes for 20 yards. His lone title-game start came in Super Bowl XXIX against San Diego, as he completed 24-of-36 passes for 325 yards and his Super Bowl record six touchdowns.
Up next: Only a few players from Utah have made it to the premier game.
»9 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...