15 hot-button issues President Obama will face or may try to tackle in his second term
»15 items «
President Barack Obama celebrated his inauguration Monday, starting a second term that pundits warn may be short on political capital and long on big challenges and hot-button issues. A Jan. 19 New York Times article warned that former President Bill Clinton was a year into his second term before scandal diminished his clout, while Hurricane Katrina gave former President Bush just seven months of influence. "You hope for a year and a half. You understand it could be half that," former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told The New York Times. "You've got to have a really, really good plan for 12 months in hopes it lasts for 16 or 18. But you have to be mindful that every day the window gets a little narrower and you've got to seize the moment." President Obama's second-term agenda has been hinted at in media reports prior to his Jan. 20 swearing-in, and his inauguration address provided a glimpse at issues he may emphasize during his last term in office. Here's a look at some of the hot-button issues and upcoming debates the country may see over the next four years.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 49
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 24
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 24
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 20
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14