15 hot-button issues President Obama will face or may try to tackle in his second term
»15 items «
President Barack Obama celebrated his inauguration Monday, starting a second term that pundits warn may be short on political capital and long on big challenges and hot-button issues. A Jan. 19 New York Times article warned that former President Bill Clinton was a year into his second term before scandal diminished his clout, while Hurricane Katrina gave former President Bush just seven months of influence. "You hope for a year and a half. You understand it could be half that," former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told The New York Times. "You've got to have a really, really good plan for 12 months in hopes it lasts for 16 or 18. But you have to be mindful that every day the window gets a little narrower and you've got to seize the moment." President Obama's second-term agenda has been hinted at in media reports prior to his Jan. 20 swearing-in, and his inauguration address provided a glimpse at issues he may emphasize during his last term in office. Here's a look at some of the hot-button issues and upcoming debates the country may see over the next four years.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: A Mormon, a Muslim and a...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- Police: 2 teens killed in Sandy crash...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 83
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 30
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 24
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 17
- Obama bans some military-style... 16
- Official says Iraq's 'Ramadi has... 14
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 13
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12