15 hot-button issues President Obama will face or may try to tackle in his second term
»15 items «
President Barack Obama celebrated his inauguration Monday, starting a second term that pundits warn may be short on political capital and long on big challenges and hot-button issues. A Jan. 19 New York Times article warned that former President Bill Clinton was a year into his second term before scandal diminished his clout, while Hurricane Katrina gave former President Bush just seven months of influence. "You hope for a year and a half. You understand it could be half that," former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told The New York Times. "You've got to have a really, really good plan for 12 months in hopes it lasts for 16 or 18. But you have to be mindful that every day the window gets a little narrower and you've got to seize the moment." President Obama's second-term agenda has been hinted at in media reports prior to his Jan. 20 swearing-in, and his inauguration address provided a glimpse at issues he may emphasize during his last term in office. Here's a look at some of the hot-button issues and upcoming debates the country may see over the next four years.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- New mission presidents
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 31
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 28
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 21
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 18