15 hot-button issues President Obama will face or may try to tackle in his second term
»15 items «
President Barack Obama celebrated his inauguration Monday, starting a second term that pundits warn may be short on political capital and long on big challenges and hot-button issues. A Jan. 19 New York Times article warned that former President Bill Clinton was a year into his second term before scandal diminished his clout, while Hurricane Katrina gave former President Bush just seven months of influence. "You hope for a year and a half. You understand it could be half that," former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told The New York Times. "You've got to have a really, really good plan for 12 months in hopes it lasts for 16 or 18. But you have to be mindful that every day the window gets a little narrower and you've got to seize the moment." President Obama's second-term agenda has been hinted at in media reports prior to his Jan. 20 swearing-in, and his inauguration address provided a glimpse at issues he may emphasize during his last term in office. Here's a look at some of the hot-button issues and upcoming debates the country may see over the next four years.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS First Presidency announces changes to...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- New temple presidents
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 83
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 52
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Violence follows California Trump... 32
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 27
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 21
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill... 21