15 hot-button issues President Obama will face or may try to tackle in his second term
»15 items «
President Barack Obama celebrated his inauguration Monday, starting a second term that pundits warn may be short on political capital and long on big challenges and hot-button issues. A Jan. 19 New York Times article warned that former President Bill Clinton was a year into his second term before scandal diminished his clout, while Hurricane Katrina gave former President Bush just seven months of influence. "You hope for a year and a half. You understand it could be half that," former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told The New York Times. "You've got to have a really, really good plan for 12 months in hopes it lasts for 16 or 18. But you have to be mindful that every day the window gets a little narrower and you've got to seize the moment." President Obama's second-term agenda has been hinted at in media reports prior to his Jan. 20 swearing-in, and his inauguration address provided a glimpse at issues he may emphasize during his last term in office. Here's a look at some of the hot-button issues and upcoming debates the country may see over the next four years.
»15 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 14
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 14
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13