10 basics every American should know about the debt ceiling debate
Where is the money coming from now? »3 of 10 «
When the debt limit was reached a few weeks ago, the Secretary of the Treasury used emergency borrowing authority to spend about $200 billion to fund government operations.
This is referred to as “extraordinary measures,” which allows the Treasury Department to use legal financial maneuvers to take care of government obligations.
»3 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 25
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18