10 basics every American should know about the debt ceiling debate
Where is the money coming from now? »3 of 10 «
When the debt limit was reached a few weeks ago, the Secretary of the Treasury used emergency borrowing authority to spend about $200 billion to fund government operations.
This is referred to as “extraordinary measures,” which allows the Treasury Department to use legal financial maneuvers to take care of government obligations.
»3 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on NBC's...
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 20 things I wish I would have known before...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- How government policy created ghettos,...
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 41
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 22
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah... 19
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12