Top 10 tournament performances by local players
#1 - 1998 — ANDRE’S TRIPLE-DOUBLE »10 of 10 «
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Not many folks gave Utah any chance of beating Arizona, the defending NCAA champs, the No. 1 seed featuring two all-Americans and three future NBA players, in the NCAA West Regional finals. But not only did the Utes beat the Wildcats, they pulverized them with a stunning 76-51 victory at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim. While Michael Doleac and Alex Jensen both had double-doubles, Andre Miller was simply sensational, playing one of the greatest games in NCAA history, finishing with 18 points, 14 rebounds and 13 assists in leading Utah to the Final Four. Miller played the top of Utah’s triangle-and-two defense, which allowed him to get more rebounds than usual, while shutting down Arizona’s guards Mike Bibby, Miles Simon and Jason Terry. “This is the kind of line you hardly see out of anybody,” marveled Arizona coach Lute Olson. “I love Andre and wouldn’t trade him for anyone in the world,” said Utah coach Rick Majerus.
»10 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- Disney reportedly pulls new 'Brave' image of...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 66
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 61
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 60
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 56
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41