Top 10 tournament performances by local players
#1 - 1998 — ANDRE’S TRIPLE-DOUBLE »10 of 10 «
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Not many folks gave Utah any chance of beating Arizona, the defending NCAA champs, the No. 1 seed featuring two all-Americans and three future NBA players, in the NCAA West Regional finals. But not only did the Utes beat the Wildcats, they pulverized them with a stunning 76-51 victory at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim. While Michael Doleac and Alex Jensen both had double-doubles, Andre Miller was simply sensational, playing one of the greatest games in NCAA history, finishing with 18 points, 14 rebounds and 13 assists in leading Utah to the Final Four. Miller played the top of Utah’s triangle-and-two defense, which allowed him to get more rebounds than usual, while shutting down Arizona’s guards Mike Bibby, Miles Simon and Jason Terry. “This is the kind of line you hardly see out of anybody,” marveled Arizona coach Lute Olson. “I love Andre and wouldn’t trade him for anyone in the world,” said Utah coach Rick Majerus.
»10 of 10 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target over...
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 67
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 45
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 14
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- Gobert 'disappointed' with 2015-16 but... 11