10 Utah high school girls hoopsters to watch for in region play
As the state's basketball teams prepare for region play, wins and losses become more important. The next six weeks will be about region titles and playoff seeding, rather than rankings or bragging rights. Heading into this critical section of their schedules, there are just six undefeated teams — 5A's Riverton and Bingham; 4A's Springville and Bonneville; 3A's Deseret Hills and 1A defending state champion St. Joseph.
While not all of the top teams are led by superstars, there are standout players in every class. The Deseret News compiled a list of 10 girls basketball players to watch this winter, and while the list doesn't include all of the players who will impact the outcome of the season, it features some of the state's most dynamic and enjoyable talents.
Among them are the state's leading overall scorer, Judge junior Kailie Quinn, and three players from Region 4 — Whitney Saunders, Riverton; Jillian Powell, Bingham, and Cassidy Fraughton, American Fork.
The list includes a future Ute, a future Cougar and a future Fresno State Bulldog, as well as three players yet to commit to colleges. Of the 10 featured players, just two are juniors.
Who else made the list? Here are all 10 of Utah's girl hoopsters to watch heading into region play.
Twitter: adonsports Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- New mission presidents
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19