Top 10 Utah high school sports stories of 2012
There have been some dominant high school football teams through the years, and the 2012 Jordan Beetdiggers deserve to be mentioned right alongside them.
Led by sophomore quarterback Austin Kafentzis, the 2012 Mr. Football winner, Jordan easily won the 5A state championship this year, finishing with a 12-1 record. Its lone loss was a 34-33 setback against St. John Bosco, Calif., at Rio Tinto Stadium back on Sept. 29.
The final scores of its four playoff wins were 56-7, 49-13, 35-14 and 58-2. The 56-point victory over Syracuse was the second-biggest blowout in state championship game history. Incredibly, Syracuse had only given up 70 points all year prior to the 5A championship.
"I'm just really happy for our kids. This is incredible what they've done — the amount of time and effort that they've put forth into this season," said Jordan coach Eric Kjar.
Jordan finished the year ranked No. 21 nationally, according to MaxPreps.
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- New mission presidents
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Australian mom removes heavy makeup from...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 52
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- Morning links: Home stretch of... 31
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 27