Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Stanford »4 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 6-3
Current national ranking: Not ranked
Head coach: Johnny Dawkins
Number of NCAA championships: 1
Why Stanford is the pick: Stanford is by far the best academic institution out of the five schools on Parker's list. They often challenge for the Pac-12 title and have placed 10 players in the NBA since 2000, including Brook and Robin Lopez. Stanford also has many Mormon alumni, including former Cardinal player Mark Madsen. In 2011-12, coach Johnny Dawkins led the Cardinal to a 26-11 record and the NIT championship.
It would be easier for Parker to take a starring role at Stanford. The Pac-12 gets its fair share of attention without the high expectations or pressure of Duke or Michigan State.
Why Stanford is not the pick: Aside from BYU, Stanford's basketball program is the least prestigious of the other four schools. The Pac-12 does not have the caliber of competition that the ACC (Duke) and Big Ten (Michigan State) do. The high quality of education at Stanford may not matter if Parker leaves school early for the NBA. Palo Alto is further from Chicago than any school on Parker's list. Head coach Dawkins does not have the same track record of success as Krzyzewski or Izzo.
»4 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- New temple presidents
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- BYU baseball team confident entering... 8