Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Stanford »4 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 6-3
Current national ranking: Not ranked
Head coach: Johnny Dawkins
Number of NCAA championships: 1
Why Stanford is the pick: Stanford is by far the best academic institution out of the five schools on Parker's list. They often challenge for the Pac-12 title and have placed 10 players in the NBA since 2000, including Brook and Robin Lopez. Stanford also has many Mormon alumni, including former Cardinal player Mark Madsen. In 2011-12, coach Johnny Dawkins led the Cardinal to a 26-11 record and the NIT championship.
It would be easier for Parker to take a starring role at Stanford. The Pac-12 gets its fair share of attention without the high expectations or pressure of Duke or Michigan State.
Why Stanford is not the pick: Aside from BYU, Stanford's basketball program is the least prestigious of the other four schools. The Pac-12 does not have the caliber of competition that the ACC (Duke) and Big Ten (Michigan State) do. The high quality of education at Stanford may not matter if Parker leaves school early for the NBA. Palo Alto is further from Chicago than any school on Parker's list. Head coach Dawkins does not have the same track record of success as Krzyzewski or Izzo.
»4 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 182
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 56
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 52
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 48