Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Florida »3 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 7-0
Current national ranking: 5
Head coach: Billy Donovan
Number of NCAA championships: 2
Why Florida is the pick: The Gators have been one of the surprises of the last 15 years in college basketball. Football gets the lion's share of attention in Gainesville, but since coach Billy Donovan came aboard in 1996, Florida has won two national titles and reached the Elite Eight or better five times. No other team has won back-to-back championships with the same starting lineup, as the Gators did in 2006 and 2007. Three of those players -- Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Joakim Noah -- were top-10 NBA draft picks in 2007, the first time three top-10 picks have come from the same school in the same year.
By joining Florida, Parker would face quality SEC opponents like Kentucky and Tennessee. Under Donovan, the Gators have a strong national profile and are well respected in the media and among NBA scouts. They are known for balanced, team-oriented basketball, something Parker values.
Why Florida is not the pick: Duke and Michigan State surpass most of the advantages Florida offers. The Gators do not have the same pedigree as a program that the Blue Devils do. They've only been competitive for a relatively short period and their success may not hold.
»3 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- Woman uses public punishment to teach a...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 37
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8