Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Florida »3 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 7-0
Current national ranking: 5
Head coach: Billy Donovan
Number of NCAA championships: 2
Why Florida is the pick: The Gators have been one of the surprises of the last 15 years in college basketball. Football gets the lion's share of attention in Gainesville, but since coach Billy Donovan came aboard in 1996, Florida has won two national titles and reached the Elite Eight or better five times. No other team has won back-to-back championships with the same starting lineup, as the Gators did in 2006 and 2007. Three of those players -- Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Joakim Noah -- were top-10 NBA draft picks in 2007, the first time three top-10 picks have come from the same school in the same year.
By joining Florida, Parker would face quality SEC opponents like Kentucky and Tennessee. Under Donovan, the Gators have a strong national profile and are well respected in the media and among NBA scouts. They are known for balanced, team-oriented basketball, something Parker values.
Why Florida is not the pick: Duke and Michigan State surpass most of the advantages Florida offers. The Gators do not have the same pedigree as a program that the Blue Devils do. They've only been competitive for a relatively short period and their success may not hold.
»3 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- 'Turbulent and incredibly productive': New...
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 32
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31