Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Michigan State »2 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 8-2
Current national ranking: 19
Head coach: Tom Izzo
Number of NCAA championships: 2
Why Michigan State is the pick: Of the five schools on Parker's short list, Michigan State is closest to his Chicago home. Parker puts a lot of faith in strong head coaches (he removed Illinois and DePaul from consideration when they made coaching changes), and Izzo is one of the best in the nation. In 17 years, he has led the Spartans to six Final Fours, two title games and one national championship.
The Big Ten is a highly competitive conference, so quality opponents would not be a problem. The Spartans get plenty of national attention and regularly place their players in the NBA. Parker could follow the footsteps of Magic Johnson, Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph to East Lansing.
Also and finally, Dick Harmon says so.
Why Michigan State is not the pick: In most cases, anything Michigan State does, Duke has done better. If Parker wants a high-profile team, the Blue Devils trump the Spartans. And with so many great players in the Big Ten, it may be harder for Parker to stand out.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21