Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Michigan State »2 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 8-2
Current national ranking: 19
Head coach: Tom Izzo
Number of NCAA championships: 2
Why Michigan State is the pick: Of the five schools on Parker's short list, Michigan State is closest to his Chicago home. Parker puts a lot of faith in strong head coaches (he removed Illinois and DePaul from consideration when they made coaching changes), and Izzo is one of the best in the nation. In 17 years, he has led the Spartans to six Final Fours, two title games and one national championship.
The Big Ten is a highly competitive conference, so quality opponents would not be a problem. The Spartans get plenty of national attention and regularly place their players in the NBA. Parker could follow the footsteps of Magic Johnson, Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph to East Lansing.
Also and finally, Dick Harmon says so.
Why Michigan State is not the pick: In most cases, anything Michigan State does, Duke has done better. If Parker wants a high-profile team, the Blue Devils trump the Spartans. And with so many great players in the Big Ten, it may be harder for Parker to stand out.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 98
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 33
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 32
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 29
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27