Why Jabari Parker might (or might not) pick each of the five schools on his short list
Michigan State »2 of 5 «
2012-13 record: 8-2
Current national ranking: 19
Head coach: Tom Izzo
Number of NCAA championships: 2
Why Michigan State is the pick: Of the five schools on Parker's short list, Michigan State is closest to his Chicago home. Parker puts a lot of faith in strong head coaches (he removed Illinois and DePaul from consideration when they made coaching changes), and Izzo is one of the best in the nation. In 17 years, he has led the Spartans to six Final Fours, two title games and one national championship.
The Big Ten is a highly competitive conference, so quality opponents would not be a problem. The Spartans get plenty of national attention and regularly place their players in the NBA. Parker could follow the footsteps of Magic Johnson, Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph to East Lansing.
Also and finally, Dick Harmon says so.
Why Michigan State is not the pick: In most cases, anything Michigan State does, Duke has done better. If Parker wants a high-profile team, the Blue Devils trump the Spartans. And with so many great players in the Big Ten, it may be harder for Parker to stand out.
»2 of 5 «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- New mission presidents
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Football meets family history: Taysom Hill...
- Friday Minute: Ways to combat becoming a...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 58
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 30
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29