Utah Utes basketball getting attention heading into BYU showdown
Whether it was legendary coach Rick Majerus' passing or the fact that the Utes are 6-2, the 2012-13 basketball team is getting a lot of attention.
After Majerus was honored in pregame ceremonies before Wednesday's home contest against Boise State, all eyes turned to the Utes.
They delivered, blowing out the Broncos, 76-55.
Afterward, the Runnin' Utes were mentioned in Sports Illustrated columnist Seth Davis' "Hoop Thoughts."
"Can't think of a better tribute to Rick Majerus than Utah's decision to raise his trademark oversized sweater to the rafters," Davis wrote. "Actually, I can: The Utes then went out and drubbed a very good Boise State team by 19 points. Somewhere, Rick the Pick is smiling."
Saturday, when Utah visits BYU, will tell if the magic was a "one-time-only" show for Majerus, or if the Utes can continue their inspired play.
"Before the game we talked about him again," Utah guard Glen Dean said according to Associated Press. "It sparked all of us and we all felt some type of energy that came in. We just rode it and got rolling right away."
If playing with the spirit of Majerus in their hearts was the key Wednesday night, the Utes will have to find a way to take him with them on the road.
At any rate, it's probably not a bad time for the Utes to have some momentum with the rivalry at stake this week.
What follows are 20 notable tweets that were written after Wednesday's game.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34