Yes, no, or maybe? See where governors stand on health care law's insurance exchanges
»50 items «
The Affordable Care Act is moving nearer to full implementation daily, but a centerpeice of the law—state-based insurance exchanges—remains up in the air as states wait for answers and guidance. Under the Obama administration's health care overhaul, states were given until Nov. 16 to choose between creating their own state-based exchanges, partnering with the federal government to run an exchange or doing neither and defaulting to a federally-facilitated exchange. Although the deadline for creating the exchanges was Nov. 16, the administration released a list of "essential health benefits" that must be offered on Nov. 20. On Nov. 15, the deadline for state exchanges decisions was pushed back to Dec. 14. Additionally, under a new plan released Nov. 30, insurance companies must pay a monthly fee to sell plans through a federally run insurance exchange. The cost of the "user fees" can be passed on to consumers, adding 3.5 percent to premiums for private health plans sold in insurance exchanges operated by the federal government, The New York Times reported. However, states that operate their own exchanges will likely also charge a user fee for participating insurers, according to The Hill.
»50 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6