Yes, no, or maybe? See where governors stand on health care law's insurance exchanges
»50 items «
The Affordable Care Act is moving nearer to full implementation daily, but a centerpeice of the law—state-based insurance exchanges—remains up in the air as states wait for answers and guidance. Under the Obama administration's health care overhaul, states were given until Nov. 16 to choose between creating their own state-based exchanges, partnering with the federal government to run an exchange or doing neither and defaulting to a federally-facilitated exchange. Although the deadline for creating the exchanges was Nov. 16, the administration released a list of "essential health benefits" that must be offered on Nov. 20. On Nov. 15, the deadline for state exchanges decisions was pushed back to Dec. 14. Additionally, under a new plan released Nov. 30, insurance companies must pay a monthly fee to sell plans through a federally run insurance exchange. The cost of the "user fees" can be passed on to consumers, adding 3.5 percent to premiums for private health plans sold in insurance exchanges operated by the federal government, The New York Times reported. However, states that operate their own exchanges will likely also charge a user fee for participating insurers, according to The Hill.
»50 items «
What You May Have Missed
Most Popular Across Site
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8