A historical tour through LDS temple Angel Moroni statues
You may think you are familiar with the Angel Moroni that tops many Mormon temples. But did you know the idea of having a Moroni statue atop the Salt Lake Temple came from someone who was not a member of the LDS Church?
The idea to use the prophet from the Book of Mormon to top the temple came from sculptor Cyrus Dallin. LDS Church President Wilford Woodruff had asked Dallin to create something for the central spire of the Salt Lake Temple, so Dallin searched through LDS scripture for inspiration. Dallin decided to sculpt Moroni because he believed Moroni was a good representation of the restoration of the gospel.
WIth temples all over the world, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has adorned the sky with angel statues for 166 years, ever since the Nauvoo Temple was dedicated in 1846. The Nauvoo Temple, however, did not feature the type of statue LDS Church members are familiar with today, and this is just one example of how the prominent symbol has changed throughout the years. According to articles in the New Era and Liahona magazines, the statue's design has gone through many renovations and has an intriguing history.
Here are some facts about the gold statue of the Angel Moroni, along with a list of temples and which version of the statue they feature.Sources
2012 Church Almanac
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 95
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 71
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66