President Thomas S. Monson: 49 quotes over 49 years
President Thomas S. Monson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was nostalgic at the beginning of his address Sunday morning at LDS general conference.
My beloved brothers and sisters, this conference marks 49 years since I was sustained on Oct. 4, 1963, as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Forty-nine years is a long time," he said, prompting some laughter. "In many ways, however, the time seems very short since I stood at the pulpit in the Tabernacle and gave my very first general conference address."
This is a list of 49 memorable quotes from President Monson's 49 years of service in the Quorum of the Twelve.
Note: The accompanying photos from the Deseret News archive are circa the year of the quote.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- The Clean Cut: How does a homeless man spend...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 123
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 77
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report... 66
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59