President Thomas S. Monson: 49 quotes over 49 years
President Thomas S. Monson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was nostalgic at the beginning of his address Sunday morning at LDS general conference.
My beloved brothers and sisters, this conference marks 49 years since I was sustained on Oct. 4, 1963, as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Forty-nine years is a long time," he said, prompting some laughter. "In many ways, however, the time seems very short since I stood at the pulpit in the Tabernacle and gave my very first general conference address."
This is a list of 49 memorable quotes from President Monson's 49 years of service in the Quorum of the Twelve.
Note: The accompanying photos from the Deseret News archive are circa the year of the quote.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- Obama signature all that's left in BYU's...
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases original...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- 'Did great-grandpa know Joseph Smith?' New...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- Gov. Gary Herbert: Now is the time to... 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- Michael Gerson: The arrogance of... 52
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 49