President Thomas S. Monson: 49 quotes over 49 years
President Thomas S. Monson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was nostalgic at the beginning of his address Sunday morning at LDS general conference.
My beloved brothers and sisters, this conference marks 49 years since I was sustained on Oct. 4, 1963, as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Forty-nine years is a long time," he said, prompting some laughter. "In many ways, however, the time seems very short since I stood at the pulpit in the Tabernacle and gave my very first general conference address."
This is a list of 49 memorable quotes from President Monson's 49 years of service in the Quorum of the Twelve.
Note: The accompanying photos from the Deseret News archive are circa the year of the quote.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Draper family shows that tragedy can reveal...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 156
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 68
- Mitt Romney Sundance film gives... 66
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65