High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Field goals: 13 Free-throws: 11 -19 (57.9%)
Field goals: 15 Free-throws: 13 -18 (72.2%)
No. 2 Escalante went on a 10-2 run early in the third quarter and made plays down the stretch to win their second 1A championship in three years. Tim Hughes, the tournament MVP, scored 15 points and Michael Munson added nine. Tyson Westwood scored 15 points to pace Piute, and Skyler Steed (11) and Dallas Sylvester (10) each finished in double-figures. Escalante beats Piute for the fourth time this year.
Pregame: The teams just came out onto the court and were greeted by roars from their respective sections of fans. This one should be a dandy. Stay tuned to this space for updates throughout the next hour-and-a-half.
1Q recap: Defenses -- surprise! -- have reigned so far. Did any honestly expect anything different? Skyler Steed drained a three-pointer at the end of the quarter to put the T-Birds up by one. Michael Munson has four points for Escalante and Tyson Westwood has four for Piute.
Early in the second quarter, Skyler Steed has picked up two fouls but is still on the floor. He just drove to the basket but drew a shooting foul, much to the chagrin of Escalante's fans.
2Q recap: Escalante went on a quick 5-0 burst to go up by four points midway through the quarter before Piute's Tyson Westwood drained a three-pointer to close the gap to within one. However, center Kaden Griffin drained a desperation 3 at the buzzer to push the advantage back out to four points at the break. Escalante's Tim Hughes and Westwood lead all scorers with seven points apiece.
3Q recap: Escalante seems to be in pretty good shape heading into the fourth quarter, but don't count out Piute out completely yet. Over the course of the third quarter, Piute's inability to score consistent baskets hurt the T-Birds big time. But they scored eight points over the final 1:16 in the period to claw back into the game and we'll see if they have more in the tank now.
Westwood just scored with 6:30 left in the quarter to pull Piute back to within five points. Don't go away, folks.
With 2:06 on the clock, Brady Barney just converted a huge lay-up to put the Moquis up by eight. It will take something really special from Piute to come-from-behind. Really special.
4Q recap: The Moquis simply hang on down the stretch to win their second state title in three years. From start to finish, Escalante simply had a little too much fire-power than Piute could handle. The Moquis beat the T-Birds for the fourth time this season.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 21
- Woods Cross airs it out in Region 6 win... 3
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jeremy... 3
- High school football: Felt's Facts,... 2
- American Fork's solid defense gets it... 2
- High school sports: Friday's football... 1
- High school football: Herriman... 1
- High school football: Murray wins first... 1