High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Field goals: 14 -36 (38.9%) Free-throws: 24 -32 (75.0%)
Field goals: 15 -39 (38.5%) Free-throws: 17 -29 (58.6%)
Richfield claimed its second straight state championship, first in 3A, with an incredible fourth quarter effort to hold off Union's rally attempt. Chelsee Willardson led Richfield with 24 points in the victory. Katie Richens put in 16 and Brianna Nielsen had 11 points, eight rebounds and four steals for Union in the loss.
- Both teams seem a bit nervous here in the first quarter, with Richfield leading 4-2 with 4:58 remaining in the first quarter.
- Richfield has missed its first four shots, while Union has turned it over three times in the opening three minutes and is 1 of 3 from the field.
- Union's turnover tally is now up to five with 2:52 remaining in the first quarter. The giveaways have helped Richfield stretch its lead to 7-2.
- Richfield leads 11-6 after the first quarter, which isn't that bad for Union all things considered. The Cougars turned it over six times in the first quarter and only made 2-of-7 shots. Richfield meanwhile is struggling just as much from the field at 2 of 8, but it has made 7-of-8 free throws to take the early lead.
- With 5:30 remaining in the second quarter, Union has closed the gap to 11-8 as Richfield has missed its first three shots of the second quarter.
- Tanisha Armstrong just hit a big 3-pointer for Richfield with 5:05 remaining to extend the Wildcats' lead back to 14-8.
- Both teams now have six fouls, so we're in the bonus the first of the first half with 3:53 remaining.
- This is definitely the worst shooting we've seen in the 3A girls tournament so far. With 2:19 remaining in the half, Richfield is 4 of 16 from the field and Union is 3 of 12.
- We're at halftime with Richfield leading 20-16. Union closed the half on a mini 5-2 run which sets up an exciting first half.
The teams have shot a combined 10 of 36 in the first half.
- What a great start to the quarter by Union as they've converted three straight lay-ups and have tied the game at 22-22 with 5:48 remaining.
- In the semifinals Canyon View came storming back to tie Richfield, but coach Marc Peterson quickly called a time-out. His players responded with a 10-0 run to the put the game away. We'll see how the Wildcats respond to this adversity after a timeout.
- Brianna Nielsen has converted two straight 3-point plays for the Cougars as they've taken a 28-24 lead with 4:50 remaining in the game.
- Since falling behind by four, Richfield has scored on back-to-back possessions to tie the game at 28-28 with 3:09 remaining.
- After falling behind 28-24 midway through the quarter, Richfield ended the quarter on an 10-3 run to take a 34-31 lead. Chelsee Willardson scored 10 points in the quarter for Richfield and now has 16 for the game.
- The turnover bug might be creeping back in for Union with four turnovers since taking the 28-24 lead midway through the third quarter.
- Union's Katie Richens just made 2-of-2 free throws to cut Richfield's lead to 36-34. Union is now 12 of 21 from the free throw line tonight, not a very good percentage for a team hoping to win a championship game.
- Richfield's Brittney Nielsen just converted an offensive rebound putback to put the Wildcats in front 39-35 with 5:13 remaining in the game.
- With Richfield leading 43-39, Brooke Bliss is whistled for a charging foul. Can Union capitalize with 2:38 remaining.
- Both teams are in the double bonus, and this game will likely be decided at the free throw line. There have already been 48 free throw attempts in this game.
- Richfield has just extended its lead to 47-41 with 1:44, and still has one more free throw remaining after a timeout. The Wildcats have simply been the more poised team here in the fourth quarter.
- We have another timeout here at UVU, as the pace of this game as really slowed down with all the fouls as Union tries to claw back into the game. It's down 48-42 with 1:17 remaining and one more free throw. Overall, the Cougars haven't helped themselves out at the free throw line with some poor shooting.
- An offensive foul by Richfield has opened the door for Union which has now cut the lead to 48-45 with 38 seconds remaining.
- Chelsee Willardson just made 1-of-2 free throws to up Richfield's lead to 51-48, but Union failed to grab the miss on her second miss and Richfield will maintain possession with 16 seconds remaining in the game.
- It's all over here. Richfield has just claimed the 3A girls basketball state championship. Last year the Wildcats won it in 2A and this year they've done it in 3A.
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Funeral services for Sister Frances J. Monson...
- Journalists criticize Obama administration,...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- High school soccer: 5A, 4A state... 6
- High school baseball: Snow Canyon... 6
- United Rugby Club wins high school... 5
- High school football: East star running... 4
- Deseret News to live stream Utah high... 3
- Orem football player remains in... 3
- High school football: Orem player... 3