High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
American Fork totals
Field goals: 14 -61 (23.0%) Free-throws: 11 -20 (55.0%)
Pleasant Grove totals
Field goals: 22 -43 (51.2%) Free-throws: 10 -19 (52.6%)
In their best game of the year to this point, the Vikings came out strong in the second and third quarters, grabbed a big lead on Region 4 rival American Fork with a great balanced offensive attack and a zone defense. The Cavemen made a run in the fourth but couldn't complete the comeback, and the Vikings landed in the state championship game. Jennifer Hamson finished with 16 points, 18 rebounds and 3 blocks, and Danyele Hoffman added 15 points, 8 assists and 3 steals.
Amy Krommenhoek picks up second foul with 5:36 left in the first quarter and goes to the bench.
After Pleasant Grove took a 4-0 lead, Makenzie Moea'i came back with four quick points to tie things up. Both teams are still feeling each other out though they've played twice already this year.
Both teams look a little tentative in the first....and wind up tied at the end of it.
Threes reign at the start of the second as the first three shots that fell were all from behind the arc....one from American Fork, two from Pleasant Grove. Pleasant Grove leads 15-12 with 5 min. in first half.
Pleasant Grove goes into a flurry of activity only broken up by a Krommenhoek three....leads by 11 with 1:45 left in the second quarter.
Balanced scoring by five Vikings highlighted the second quarter. The triple teaming of Jen Hamson limited her scoring to 7, but her teammates have stepped up, giving the Vikings a formidable 30-18 lead at the end of the first half.
Though the Cavemen defeated Pleasant Grove by 10 once in the regular season and in overtime the second meeting of the regular season, the Vikings have brought their momentum with them into the semifinal game--and are proving the old adage that it's tough to beat the same team three times in a season.
The Vikings picked up in the third where they left off in the second and grabbed five quick points to extend their lead to 17 with two minutes gone in the third.
Pleasant Grove scored the first 10 points of the third period, including a trey by Danyele Hoffman before American Fork got on the board with a trey of their own by Krommenhoek. Score 40-21 with 3:45 remaining in third.
Pleasant Grove didn't give up their intensity at all in the quarter, despite picking up the big lead on their Region 4 rivals. They doubled up American Fork in the third 18-9 to extend their huge lead to 48-27 heading into the final eight minutes.
In a fourth quarter that was high on toughness and intensity, the Vikings fought off and early Caveman run to maintain the big lead midway through.
The Cavemen continued to come back from the huge deficit and managed to cut the lead to 11 but couldn't come any closer against a Pleasant Grove squad playing its best ball of the season.
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose marriage,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 51
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jeremy... 3
- American Fork's solid defense gets it... 3
- High school football: Murray wins first... 1
- High school cross-country: East junior,... 1
- High school football: Rich overpowers... 1
- Vigil brothers answer call when Aggies... 1
- High school football: North Sanpete,... 1