High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Field goals: 21 -51 (41.2%) Free-throws: 16 -21 (76.2%)
Field goals: 12 -37 (32.4%) Free-throws: 13 -27 (48.1%)
Unbeaten Syracuse overcame a slow start to advance to the state championship game for the first time in the school's three-year history. Brittney Martin had 28 points, 11 rebounds and five steals, while Jennifer Hazlett chipped in 20 points, five boards and four assists. Miquelle Askew led Skyline with 12 points and Hannah Bezdjian had 11 rebounds.
Unbeaten Syracuse seemed a little jittery in the first quarter. The Titans rushed some shots, and missed badly on others. Of course, you have to credit Skyline's defense for making the Titans play that way. The game is being played at Skyline's pace, and the Eagles look confident of pulling off an upset.
The favored Titans got their legs underneath them in the second quarter and took control of the game. Syracuse, the state's highest scoring team, actually took control with its defense. The Titans didn't allow Skyline to make a shot in the final 6 minutes of the second quarter. They outscored Skyline 12-2 during that span.
The Titans showed why they're the best team in the state in the third quarter. Syracuse's Jennifer Hazlett and Brittney Martin proved to be unstoppable in the third as they've been all season. Martin has outscored Skyline by herself at 22-20, which Syracuse's student section may have mentioned during the third period.
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...