High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Mountain Crest totals
Field goals: 16 -39 (41.0%) Free-throws: 13 -23 (56.5%)
Woods Cross totals
Field goals: 15 -39 (38.5%) Free-throws: 10 -20 (50.0%)
Mountain Crest came out with a flourish right from the top, taking a big lead on Woods Cross. Though the Wildcats came back many times, they never could quite overtake the Mustangs, who were led by a balanced group on offense and especially on defense. The Mustangs played their game, giving up 18 to Xojian Harry but never giving in to the run-and-gun.
The Mustangs rushed out to an early lead on the Wildcats behind 6 points from Brianna Jessop and a balanced effort all around. The Wildcats brought it back a little at the end, but Xojian Harry was held scoreless in the quarter.
The Wildcats started the second with their kind of basketball and made a huge comeback, scoring seven of the quarter's first nine points and bringing it back to within 17-14.
Xojian Harry and her teammates continued to come on strong in the second, but the Mustangs maintained their slim margin with some nice plays all-around, and the two teams finished off the first half with Mountain Crest leading 24-21.
The Mustangs got out to a quick 7-2 advantage in the third, giving them a 31-23 lead.
After the early flurry by the Mustangs in the third, the two teams have played fairly even basketball, including free throws in five of the last six scores. The Mustangs maintain a 38-13 lead with 15 seconds to go in the third.
Xojian Harry and Jenny Paget each hit shots at the start of the fourth to tighten it up to 38-35 Mountain Crest.
A runner by Xojian Harry evened things up with just over 4 minutes left, but then Mustang Jordi Willden put one in at the other end to retake a two-point lead.
Brianna Jessop knocked in another hoop with just under four minutes left in the game, giving her team a 4-point lead and causing Woods Cross to call a time out.
Xojian Harry hit one of two from the line, and Emily Howey hit a short jumper to get the Wildcats to within 42-41 with just over a minute and a half left.
Mountain Crest hit free throws during the last stretch of the game and the Wildcats couldn't come up with a counterpunch as the Mustangs extended the lead and came up with the victory.
- LDS Church confirms women's meeting now part...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Couple with triplets expecting twins: 'We're...
- Days before deadline, brain cancer victim may...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases 3 'Hunger...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- High school football: Improbable final... 6
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition:... 6
- Out of Africa: Refugee from Congo alive... 5
- High school football: Timpview the... 5
- High school football: Champs will be... 3
- High school football: Tanner Thompson... 2