High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Hailey Karg scored a goal in each half to help the Ravens claim a state championship in girls soccer for a second consecutive year.
15th min -- GOAL !!! Hailey Karg gets the Ravens on the board first. Ironically, when these two teams last met to decide the Region 14 title, Karg scored a first-half goal to provide the winning margin. Could history repeat itself?
24th min -- GOAL !!! Kristen Johnson lofts up a nice floater just outside the top of the area. The ball goes over the keeper's head and she barely contests it. Another slow start is plaguing the Jayhawks. This time, it could prove fatal.
30th min -- Michelle Howe gets shown a yellow card after plowing over Ravens defender Tana Bossard.
39th min -- Ravens defender Emma Sindelar sends a corner kick inside the six. Molly Porter makes a nice defensive play to snag the ball out of the air before Waterford can get a head on it.
The Ravens took quick advantage of another slow start by the Jayhawks by taking a sizeable lead going into the final 15 minutes of the half. A wider field here at Rio Tinto definitely favors Waterford's controlled possession style of play. St. Joseph started to find more of an attacking rhythm near the end of the half, but the Jayhawks are still having a tough time breaking through the Ravens defense.
42nd min -- A throw-in from Tauna DeHaan sets up a free kick by Joana Matajasik. Matajasik is able to swing the ball around the left side of the Ravens defensive wall into the area, but Taylor Ritzman blocks the shot for the Ravens.
45th min -- Another good look at the nets for the Jayhawks. Howe sends a corner kick into Ivee Barton just outside the six. Barton has good position and heads the ball, but it sails way high over the crossbar.
60th min -- GOAL !!! Karg does it again. Flanked by a defender on either side of her, she takes off on a run into the penalty area and unleashes a runner up the middle in perfect stride. Karg slots the ball inside the left post and suddenly the Ravens have a commanding lead.
68th min -- GOAL !!! Jayhawks finally get on the board after #25 scores. Megan Pollock sets things in motion on a free kick. The ball bangs off the top corner of the left post and squirts back out into the 6-yard box. #25 gets to the ball in a scramble and taps it in. The Jayhawks are not out of this yet.
74th min -- After a few passes around to about every Ravens player, Sindelar takes a crack at the net from about 30 yards out. Her shot hooks just wide of the left post.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham... 21
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school... 10
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig... 5
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school... 4
- Postseason success will not impact... 4
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs... 1
- Big plays save Taylorsville as Warriors... 1
- Corner Canyon holds off pesky... 1