High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Merit Academy totals
Field goals: 14 Free-throws: 8 -10 (80.0%)
South Sevier totals
Field goals: 22 Free-throws: 18 -24 (75.0%)
Race Parsons made history during South Sevier's easy 2A first round victory over Merit Academy on Saturday night.
The senior came into the playoffs with 1,996 career points, and he easily passed the 2,000-point mark with a whopping 36 points, becoming just the sixth player in state history to reach 2,000 career points.
Parsons moved into a fifth-place tie with Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid (1990-1993) on the career scoring list with 2,032 career points.
Gunnison's Gary Hill (1959-1963) owns the state record with 2,283 career points. Spanish Fork's Randy Reid (1986-1989) is second with 2,191 career points. Ben Lomond's Kurt Miller (1983-1987) with 2,153 points and Highland's Mike Maxwell (1975-1979) with 2,098.
South Sevier will likely play three more games this year, which means Parsons will likely surpass Maxwell for fourth-place all-time.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep... 7
- Dick Harmon: Great Western Shootout in... 3
- High school boys basketball: Alta Hawks... 3
- Several Utahns help LDS school Southern... 3
- High school girls basketball: State's... 1
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont... 1
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs... 1