High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Merit Academy totals
Field goals: 14 Free-throws: 8 -10 (80.0%)
South Sevier totals
Field goals: 22 Free-throws: 18 -24 (75.0%)
Race Parsons made history during South Sevier's easy 2A first round victory over Merit Academy on Saturday night.
The senior came into the playoffs with 1,996 career points, and he easily passed the 2,000-point mark with a whopping 36 points, becoming just the sixth player in state history to reach 2,000 career points.
Parsons moved into a fifth-place tie with Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid (1990-1993) on the career scoring list with 2,032 career points.
Gunnison's Gary Hill (1959-1963) owns the state record with 2,283 career points. Spanish Fork's Randy Reid (1986-1989) is second with 2,191 career points. Ben Lomond's Kurt Miller (1983-1987) with 2,153 points and Highland's Mike Maxwell (1975-1979) with 2,098.
South Sevier will likely play three more games this year, which means Parsons will likely surpass Maxwell for fourth-place all-time.
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup:... 10
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's... 8
- High school boys basketball: Kearns... 5
- Layton steps up big late to secure a... 5
- Uintah River High claims state... 4
- High school boys basketball: Pine View... 4
- High school boys basketball:... 2
- Region 20 Tournament: Valley,... 2