High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Merit Academy totals
Field goals: 14 Free-throws: 8 -10 (80.0%)
South Sevier totals
Field goals: 22 Free-throws: 18 -24 (75.0%)
Race Parsons made history during South Sevier's easy 2A first round victory over Merit Academy on Saturday night.
The senior came into the playoffs with 1,996 career points, and he easily passed the 2,000-point mark with a whopping 36 points, becoming just the sixth player in state history to reach 2,000 career points.
Parsons moved into a fifth-place tie with Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid (1990-1993) on the career scoring list with 2,032 career points.
Gunnison's Gary Hill (1959-1963) owns the state record with 2,283 career points. Spanish Fork's Randy Reid (1986-1989) is second with 2,191 career points. Ben Lomond's Kurt Miller (1983-1987) with 2,153 points and Highland's Mike Maxwell (1975-1979) with 2,098.
South Sevier will likely play three more games this year, which means Parsons will likely surpass Maxwell for fourth-place all-time.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Parry's Power Guide: Week 4 5
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jeremy... 3
- High school football: Felt's Facts,... 2
- Woods Cross airs it out in Region 6 win... 2
- High school sports: Friday's football... 1
- High school football: Herriman... 1
- High school football: Murray wins first... 1
- High school cross-country: East junior,... 1