High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Merit Academy totals
Field goals: 14 Free-throws: 8 -10 (80.0%)
South Sevier totals
Field goals: 22 Free-throws: 18 -24 (75.0%)
Race Parsons made history during South Sevier's easy 2A first round victory over Merit Academy on Saturday night.
The senior came into the playoffs with 1,996 career points, and he easily passed the 2,000-point mark with a whopping 36 points, becoming just the sixth player in state history to reach 2,000 career points.
Parsons moved into a fifth-place tie with Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid (1990-1993) on the career scoring list with 2,032 career points.
Gunnison's Gary Hill (1959-1963) owns the state record with 2,283 career points. Spanish Fork's Randy Reid (1986-1989) is second with 2,191 career points. Ben Lomond's Kurt Miller (1983-1987) with 2,153 points and Highland's Mike Maxwell (1975-1979) with 2,098.
South Sevier will likely play three more games this year, which means Parsons will likely surpass Maxwell for fourth-place all-time.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...