High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Merit Academy totals
Field goals: 14 Free-throws: 8 -10 (80.0%)
South Sevier totals
Field goals: 22 Free-throws: 18 -24 (75.0%)
Race Parsons made history during South Sevier's easy 2A first round victory over Merit Academy on Saturday night.
The senior came into the playoffs with 1,996 career points, and he easily passed the 2,000-point mark with a whopping 36 points, becoming just the sixth player in state history to reach 2,000 career points.
Parsons moved into a fifth-place tie with Spanish Fork's Robbie Reid (1990-1993) on the career scoring list with 2,032 career points.
Gunnison's Gary Hill (1959-1963) owns the state record with 2,283 career points. Spanish Fork's Randy Reid (1986-1989) is second with 2,191 career points. Ben Lomond's Kurt Miller (1983-1987) with 2,153 points and Highland's Mike Maxwell (1975-1979) with 2,098.
South Sevier will likely play three more games this year, which means Parsons will likely surpass Maxwell for fourth-place all-time.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Super Bowl quarterback Tom Brady relies on...
- ABC's 'Nightline' takes a look into the lives...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'... 14
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one... 9
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit... 5
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native... 3
- High school football: Riverton coach... 2
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious... 1