High School Sports
- Scores & Schedule
Field goals: 18 -40 (45.0%) Free-throws: 16 -25 (64.0%)
Field goals: 16 -44 (36.4%) Free-throws: 10 -11 (90.9%)
Orem captured its first boys basketball state championship in school history by opening up a double-digit lead on Olympus in the second quarter and then holding off a Titan rally for the 58-50 victory in the 4A state championship game at the Maverik Center. Olympus cut the lead to four points early in the fourth quarter on back-to-back 3-pointers by Jackson Coleman and Jake Bengtzen. The Tigers slowed the game down from there, and knocked down just enough free throws in the final few minutes to hold off Olympus. Dalton Nixon came up huge for Orem in the loss scoring 18 points. Jordan Darger chipped in with 14, and also played great defense on Olympus big man Will Cannon. Neither Olympus nor Orem had won a boys basketball title prior to Saturday's championship game. Even though Olympus made eight 3-pointers and got 13 points from Cannon, it turned it over 14 times and struggled with any offensive consistency. Cooper Holt came up big for Orem with 11 points on 3-of-4 shooting from 3-point range, with Zach Hunsaker adding 10 points.Orem finished the season with an impressive 24-1 record, and it will certainly be back next year with numerous underclassman starters.
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- The first sign your marriage is in trouble
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Why my husband never sleeps on the couch and...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...