- Comments Policy
(Last revised February 8, 2013)
No Use by Children
The Site is not directed to, nor intended for use by, children (defined as anyone age thirteen (13) or younger). Children should not use the Site nor submit any information to Operator.
What Information is Collected
There are two general types of information that can be collected as a result of your use of the Site: (1) Personally Identifiable Information (such as your first and last name, home or other physical address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, other identifiers that permit physical or online contact with you, or any information about you collected online and maintained in personally identifiable form in combination with any of the preceding categories) ("PII"), and (2) aggregate information (such as your IP address - a number used to identify your computer when you are on the Internet - the type of browser you are using, or other device specific information).
How is Information Collected
Operator collects information both actively and passively. For example, Operator will collect information about you that you voluntarily provide on the Site. In addition to information provided directly by you, Operator and third parties with features at the Site may collect aggregate information through the use of "cookies" or by other electronic means. In general, a cookie is a small amount of data sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. With most browsers or other software, you can erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. You can refer to the instructions for your browser to learn more about these functions. If you choose to reject cookies, the Site likely will not operate as efficiently for you.
Personally Identifiable Information
Certain features available within the Site will require you to submit PII about yourself as a condition of participation. Some of the features may be offered by Operator, while others may be offered by third parties. (For example, you may be required to submit PII in order to enter a contest conducted by Operator, or you may be required to submit PII in order to receive news updates by email from a third party news source.) In addition, Operator may ask you to provide PII for purposes unrelated to the use of a feature within the Site. IN ALL CASES, YOU CAN ALWAYS REFUSE TO PROVIDE PII, BUT THIS MAY RESULT IN DECREASED FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SITE FOR YOU AND LIMIT YOUR ABILITY TO RECEIVE INFORMATION ABOUT PRODUCTS OR SERVICES THAT MAY BE OF PARTICULAR INTEREST TO YOU. In general, the use of Personal Information you choose to submit to a third party in connection with your use of the Site will be controlled by the privacy practices of the third party and not this Statement.
Ownership and Use of Information
ANY INFORMATION COLLECTED BY OPERATOR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE SITE - REGARDLESS OF WHETHER CHARACTERIZED AS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION OR AGGREGATE - WILL BELONG EXCLUSIVELY TO OPERATOR AND MAY BE USED, MAINTAINED, UPDATED, DISCLOSED OR SOLD BY OPERATOR AS DESIRED IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION. OPERATOR MAY CHOOSE TO DISCLOSE NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU, THE CONSUMER, TO A THIRD PARTY FOR COMPENSATION
Third-Party Advertising and Links to Other Sites.
The Site may include forums (such as message boards, chat rooms, comment boards, and reviews) that enable users to post a comment or communicate with each other. Operator is under no obligation to moderate or edit the forums and will not be responsible for the content or use of any material posted on any forum within the Site. Operator retains the right to delete at any time and for any or no reason any material posted within the Site.
Questions concerning the Statement or the Site, including any request to review or change your Personal Information, should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
DeseretNews.com Comment Board Rules and Guidelines
DeseretNews.com comment boards are a forum for thoughtful commentary and civil dialogue intended to enlighten readers with additional insights or counterpoints.
We encourage thoughtful comments that:
- have a positive and constructive tone
- are on topic, clear and to the point
- are respectful toward others and their opinions
All comments are reviewed by moderators before they are posted. Each user may post four comments per news article. Additional comments are permitted on sports stories. Some users submit comments that make a valid argument or statement but violate one or more of our guidelines, and their comments are rejected. To avoid this, please carefully read and follow the guidelines below:
- No personal attacks, excessive criticism or sarcasm, or comments meant to solely provoke — meaning comments that are both personal and antagonistic toward individuals and/or groups. Do not call another commenter a derogatory name, tell someone to “get a life,” mock someone, or express a desire to hurt a suspect, accuse someone of crimes they have not been convicted of or are under investigation for (drug use, illegal immigration, etc.). Personal attacks against Deseret News personnel — including comment moderators — will not be tolerated.
- No obscenity, vulgarity, profanity, or implied profanity, acronyms that are shorthand for profanities, name-calling, epithets or racial slurs. Occasionally a user will attempt to use symbol swearing (using #*$) in place of profanity. The best comments make an articulate point without using intended or implied crude language.
- No ALL CAPS shouting, overuse of punctuation or short “ditto” comments.
- Overly speculative comments or comments containing information not included in the story are generally rejected, especially in cases of crime or tragedy. If you have information that you feel is critical to a story, please contact the reporter who wrote the story.
- Be sensitive in comments about death and injury, especially in stories that involve children.
- Off-topic comments will be rejected. Comments must tie directly to the associated article. This is especially true on sensitive topics. Complaining about comment policies and moderation of comments is considered off topic and will result in your comment being rejected. Comments and questions regarding comment board procedures can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged and will delay the posting of your comment. Comments with email addresses, links to personal blogs, websites or Facebook accounts also are discouraged and will generally be rejected. DeseretNews.com does not endorse the content of external websites and has no liability as to their content in any event. We reserve the right to remove any external link.
- We want to hear YOUR opinion. Your comment must be created and owned by you. If you copy and paste from another source, please give proper attribution. Posting copyrighted material is not permitted.
- Commercial promotion or solicitation is not allowed. Our colleagues at KSL.com have a great classified ads site for that.
- Please do not submit charity donation information (as in the case of individual tragedies). Those who would like to request charitable donation information be posted to a news article can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report abuse" button that follows each comment posted on the site.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What kinds of comments are posted?
We are looking for intelligent, on-topic comments that add value and insight to a story. We hold those who submit comments to the standards you've come to expect from the Deseret News. We accept a wide variety of viewpoints that add value to a reader's experience. These comment boards are offered as a public forum for a wide audience and should not be confused with a message board or instant messenger service.
OK, I met all of the above guidelines and my comment still didn't get approved! What gives?
Our moderators work hard to ensure a civil atmosphere and increase the quality of dialogue. However, because we are human, moderating decisions are subjective and occasionally we make mistakes accepting or rejecting comments. Unfortunately, we are not able to restore rejected comments or respond to requests asking for explanations as to why a comment was rejected. If you believe your comment was rejected in error, feel free to submit it again.
Haven't you ever heard of freedom of speech? That's censorship!
Commenting on DeseretNews.com is a privilege, not a right. If you continually abuse that privilege, you may have your account suspended or banned. But we want your comments and added insight, so keep it civil and we can continue a long and meaningful online relationship.
What if I spot an error in a story?
Comments regarding story errors - whether grammatical, typographical or factual - should be sent to the reporter who wrote the story or to email@example.com. Reporter emails are generally found near the bottom of article pages. The moderation staff has no control over editorial content.
My comment was rejected. Can I try again on the same comment board?
Yes. At this time, you are only able to post four comments per story. If one is rejected or placed on hold for an editor to review, that comment counts as one post.
If you have a question or comment about this policy, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DeseretNews.com reserves the right to reject or remove comments that do not conform to these criteria or for any other reason.
No Use by Children. The Site is not directed to, or intended for use by, children (defined as anyone age twelve (12) or younger). Children should not use the Site or submit any information to Operator.
Privacy. You should review the Privacy Statement posted elsewhere at the Site before using the Site.
Indemnification. You will indemnify, defend, reimburse and hold harmless Operator, and each parent company, subsidiary, affiliate, division, officer, director, employee, contractor and agent of Operator, for, from and against any and all liabilities, claims and expenses of any type or nature, including costs and attorneys' fees, that arise from the exercise of the License set forth above or from your use of the Site.
Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement. Pursuant to federal copyright law, if you believe copyrighted work is available at the Site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please see the Notice and Take Down materials posted elsewhere at the Site.
Disclaimer of Warranties. YOU AGREE THAT THE SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES INCLUDED IN OR AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, INCLUDING THE CONTENT (COLLECTIVELY, THE "SITE MATERIALS"), ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS/WHERE IS/AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. OTHER THAN THOSE WARRANTIES THAT ARE INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION, RESTRICTION OR MODIFICATION UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, THE SITE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED FOR YOUR USE WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT AND THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. OPERATOR DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTY THAT ANY OF THE SITE MATERIALS ARE ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT, THAT THE SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION, THAT ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT THE SITE MATERIALS ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR THAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE SUCCESSFUL RESULTS FROM FOLLOWING ANY INSTRUCTIONS, DIRECTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS AVAILABLE AT THE SITE.
Limitation of Liability. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL OPERATOR, OR ANY PARENT COMPANY, SUBSIDIARY, AFFILIATE, DIVISION, OFFICER, DIRECTOR, EMPLOYEE, CONTRACTOR OR AGENT OF OPERATOR, BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE WHATSOEVER, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHERWISE, THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE OR FROM ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED AT THE SITE, INCLUDING THE CONTENT AND YOUR CONTENT. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES WHETHER THE ALLEGED LIABILITY IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER BASIS, AND EVEN IF OPERATOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
International Use. The Site is intended for use by legal U.S. residents residing within the geographic borders of the United States. If you choose to access the Site from any location other than the United States, you accept full responsibility for compliance with the laws of the jurisdiction where the access occurs. Operator makes no representation that the Site or the Site Materials are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States. Accessing the Site or using any of the Site Materials from any jurisdiction where access or use is illegal is prohibited.
Unauthorized Use and Termination. You agree to use the Site only for authorized and legal activities. Operator reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your access to all or part of the Site at any time and for any or no reason.
- LDS missionary surprises mom with homecoming...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon...
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...