“We were so close (to the 3A records), but I couldn’t ask for anything better,” said Marsing, who was named the 3A boys coach of the year. His school swept the team competitions. It was the first title ever for the Wasatch girls and the first one ever for one of Marsing's teams.
“I chased Brighton for years. With Russ Lauber at the helm, they won 21 straight,” he said. “I told the girls they had to come to swim, and they did. They stepped up when they needed to.”
The Wasatch girls totaled 317 points, edging second-place Judge, which scored 263 points. Judge coach Matt Finnigan was named the 3A girls coach of the year.
The Wasatch boys finished with 379 points while Park City finished in second with 244 points.
“We’ve got a challenge moving up into 4A, but we’ll just rise to the occasion,” Marsing added. “This is a nice way to leave 3A.”
Other Wasatch individual champions included Finley, who won the 100-yard backstroke title with a time of 54.92, and Dahl, who took first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06.54.
“I’ve been telling (Dahl) all year she can go 1:06. She went 1:06 today, and she’s just a junior,” Marsing said.
Park City senior Zach Carfi won the boys 100 breast with a time of 1:00.74 and Park City sophomore Natalie McDonald won the 100 back with a time of 1:00.21.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21