5 Questions with former U. of U. and NBA star Tom Chambers
, Courtesy University Of Utah, Courtesy Phoenix Suns
Q: DID YOU ENJOY YOUR TIME AT UTAH?
A: I loved it. I had a great time there. Obviously when you're playing basketball and doing what you love, you enjoy it. It was difficult at times. We had a very talented team when I came in. So I was always fighting for time right off the bat and that probably made me better because I really had to work harder to get in and play.
Q: HOW DID YOU END UP WITH THE UTES?
A: It basically came down to Utah and BYU at the end. I chose Utah. Everything there helped me a lot. You look at our numbers and I think I only played 20-something minutes a game. But we had a bunch of talented guys. We all contributed and we were really good. … Frank Arnold was not happy when I told him I was thinking about Utah. That's why I decided to go to Utah. He threw an absolute fit. Oh my gosh.
Q: DID YOU ENJOY RETURNING TO SALT LAKE CITY AND PLAYING FOR THE UTAH JAZZ (1993-95)?
A: It was nice to come back and see the family regularly, that kind of thing. I enjoyed playing with John (Stockton) and Karl (Malone). That was just a real special time, too, and I kind of fit in as a guy who could provide a spark off the bench. I had fun up there playing with the Jazz. I absolutely did.
Q: HOW IS THE BROADCASTING CAREER GOING?
A: It's different. The good thing about broadcasting versus coaching, or even playing for that matter, is I have summers off. When I played I didn't have summers off, but now I truly do. I have games but it's half the day so I can have a life. Obviously, we do a lot of games but I love it. … It's a really good job to talk about the team and have fun with it. It's a full-time job where you still have time to enjoy the kids when they're out of school and stuff like that. So I really like it.
Q: WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT UTAH'S HIRING OF LARRY KRYSTKOWIAK?
A: I think it was a great hire. Hopefully he'll be able to recruit because that's one thing, no matter how good your are, you've got to go out and get some players. … I know Larry is certainly a good enough coach and he'll command enough respect and attention. He wants to bring the program back so I believe that will happen. It's just a matter of when he gets that one guy that's going to bring some attention back.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20